Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I pay to change??

MissionaryMike

SVI Grip Texture for Racing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should I change?

• No, the "tactical" texture will offer enough grip and better grip adjustment.
    • Yes, don't be a cheap sissy.

I have a pistol on order from SVI that is being built exclusively for USPSA Limited.  I ordered it w/ the tactical micropockets, which is their medium texture.  I just didn't want to go to aggressive right off the bat.  I'm not sure why, but I'm having a little remorse and wondering if I should have gone w/ the aggressive texture.  Will the tactical texture offer enough grip during those sweaty summer months in the mid-atlantic/northeast, or should I pay the $100 and change it to the cheese graters?

Edited by MissionaryMike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or go with a smooth grip and use grip tape to put extra friction exactly where you want it. I have fairly rugged hands and I am yet to grip an aggressive texture steel grip with my normal hard shooting grip and not be in pain due to the texture its self. I wouldn't want a grip texture keeping me from gripping the gun hard like it should be.

I shoot a SV IMM gun with the aggressive grip and I have a limited gun witht the tactical micro pockets. I ordered my new open gun with the tactical micro pockets.... I call my open gun the hand raper. You can't dry fire it and keep any hide on your hand. 

5 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

I have a pistol on order from SVI that is being built exclusively for USPSA Limited.  I ordered it w/ the tactical micropockets, which is their medium texture.  I just didn't want to go to aggressive right off the bat.  I'm not sure why, but I'm having a little remorse and wondering if I should have gone w/ the aggressive texture.  Will the tactical texture offer enough grip during those sweaty summer months in the mid-atlantic/northeast, or should I pay the $100 and change it to the cheese graters?

Hell no!!  You will be just fine.  The aggressive is too much for regular folks.

4 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Ok, Trace, I'm going to trust you on this one.  I ain't no Chris Tilley....he's not regular folk.

Trust me, I have the aggressive on my current Limited gun and I really regret it.  It's so sharp that after a couple dozen draws, I start to bleed......

My first steel grip was a Phoenix Trinity, not the aggressive one.  It got  slippery in Central Florida despite copious amounts of  Progrip during the summer

I now have 2 SVI aggressive grips on my Limited guns. I would  never go less aggressive than these. 

No blood despite about 500 rounds/week + dry fire

After seeing many posts talking about this same thing I still cant wrap my head around this subject. Some will swear by the aggressive and some claim they draw blood. How does one claim they cant dryfire for more than 12 draws without bleeding, and another person say they dryfire and live fire on a regular basis with the same grip and wouldn't have it any other way?? I have only held one aggressive grip and I was surprised by how mild it was compared to the hype I've read on here saying they are unbearably needle like. Maybe the grip I held had been slightly sanded down to take the sharp points down, I don't know. I have an open build being delivered in the next week and went with the new evo grip which is only available in aggressive.This question really can swing both directions and seems to be mostly preference. Some people like sugar in their coffee, some people like A LOT of sugar, some like it Black, Some think it is disgusting altogether.

My suggestion is similar to how I would recommend trying coffee for the first time. Go with the aggressive and if you really hate the bite, start knocking down the sharpness with filing stones and sand paper until it is just right. you can keep sanding and filing until the sharp points are not as sharp as before, but if you start with a smooth grip all you can really do at that point is slap grip tape on it. Kind of like trying coffee Black and if you hate that, add cream and sugar till the point you like it. The non aggressive micro pockets to me are just cosmetic. I have seen plenty of grip tape over Tactical pockets which tells you something.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I lift a lot of weights without gloves, so they're not quite that soft....but I'm certainly not a brick layer, roofer or fence builder!!

Funny you should name those professions...as I have gotten paid to do all of those before. :roflol:

After seeing many posts talking about this same thing I still cant wrap my head around this subject. Some will swear by the aggressive and some claim they draw blood. How does one claim they cant dryfire for more than 12 draws without bleeding, and another person say they dryfire and live fire on a regular basis with the same grip and wouldn't have it any other way?? I have only held one aggressive grip and I was surprised by how mild it was compared to the hype I've read on here saying they are unbearably needle like. Maybe the grip I held had been slightly sanded down to take the sharp points down, I don't know. I have an open build being delivered in the next week and went with the new evo grip which is only available in aggressive.This question really can swing both directions and seems to be mostly preference. Some people like sugar in their coffee, some people like A LOT of sugar, some like it Black, Some think it is disgusting altogether.

My suggestion is similar to how I would recommend trying coffee for the first time. Go with the aggressive and if you really hate the bite, start knocking down the sharpness with filing stones and sand paper until it is just right. you can keep sanding and filing until the sharp points are not as sharp as before, but if you start with a smooth grip all you can really do at that point is slap grip tape on it. Kind of like trying coffee Black and if you hate that, add cream and sugar till the point you like it. The non aggressive micro pockets to me are just cosmetic. I have seen plenty of grip tape over Tactical pockets which tells you something.

Maybe the PT aggressive and infinity aggressive are quite different.
I just got an infinity aggressive and in a match it's great.
Repetitive dryfire, it's a little sharp. I wrapped it with tape last session. Worked good.
If you go aggressive you can always bead blast or sand down the sharpness, as stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm behind the curve on these grip texture changes in the SVI line. My build is a couple years older and I don't recall much information beyond Micro Pockets. There aren't many SVIs in my neck of the woods to compare and my build sheet doesn't list much for the grip texture.

Grip Material: Stainless Steel
Grip Size (Competition Hicap Only): Signature Grip
Grip Surface: MicroPockets (IMP) .625in Round Logo Recess

For those more in know than I am about SVI grips, where does my grip texture fall in the aggressive or not so aggressive texture?

18 minutes ago, 72stick said:

I guess I'm behind the curve on these grip texture changes in the SVI line. My build is a couple years older and I don't recall much information beyond Micro Pockets. There aren't many SVIs in my neck of the woods to compare and my build sheet doesn't list much for the grip texture.

Grip Material: Stainless Steel
Grip Size (Competition Hicap Only): Signature Grip
Grip Surface: MicroPockets (IMP) .625in Round Logo Recess

For those more in know than I am about SVI grips, where does my grip texture fall in the aggressive or not so aggressive texture?

It's their least aggressive.

7 minutes ago, Tino2212 said:

For me i don't see why a grip with a agressive  texture would suddenly cost $100 more than the same grip with another  texture .

It's b/c I "finalized" my gunbuilder, and the 90 day period the shop gives to amend designs has passed.   Any changes beyond the 90 days cost $100.

3 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

It's b/c I "finalized" my gunbuilder, and the 90 day period the shop gives to amend designs has passed.   Any changes beyond the 90 days cost $100.

Sounds reasonable I guess?

Edited by Sarge

3 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Ya, I'm fine with it.  I'm not really concerned about the change fee.  I'm more or less irked by the buyer's remorse I'm experiencing.  

Yep. That's a lot of money to spend without it being perfect for you.

23 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Oke that's different it are cost's you have to pay when you make changes to your build , its not that the different texture have different prices .

that seems reasonable  to me .

Edited by Tino2212

Y'all are free to continue to discuss the merits of the difference and grips, but after reading your comments and talking to Casey again at the shop, i'm definitely sticking with the tactical micropockets.   I came to this decision by thinking that my smaller-sized hands will need slight adjustments in grip in order to hit the mag release on a double stack. 

My buyer's remorse is slowly dissipating.