Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Ammo - Practice Ammo

jeffroberdo

14 hours ago, Aric said:

Same for both.  Some times good deals come up and that is used for practice (super cheap group buys on random projectiles or what ever).  Anything that doesn't pass the plunk test is practice ammo. 

I don't want a different recoil or point of aim. 

Exactly this. 

If I was using a more expensive bullet, I might have different practice/match ammo, but since I'm just running plated 124's, I buy in bulk and it's all used for everything. 

Exact same ammo. If I were to shoot an Area match or Nats, I'd switch to federal primers, and feed it to my gun that consistently goes bang on CCI Mag SP primers. No worries on things going bang with Federals!

For all non-locals (state match or similar) I load 750 rounds and choose the 400 that fall into the shockbottle with a rattle and no sticking, and which have the deepest-seated primers. (The other 350 rounds gets used at locals.)

The gun eats the tight rounds I had to push out of the case gauge perfectly, and with CCI brick-hardness primers...

So I know it'll eat the high quality stuff like candy.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

All ammo is case gauged but I have two grades of ammo.

Everyday ammo is assorted brass and bayou 147gr coated bullets with S&B primers.

Major matches and nationals is WIN brass, CCI primers and Zero 147gr jhp.