Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Ammo - Practice Ammo

jeffroberdo

I am pondering and wondering what everyone else does?

Does everyone that competes (I am sure most people here do). Does everyone that does Live Fire Practice use the same ammo to compete with that they use to practice with or do some folks have different match ammo then practice ammo.

2 Different loads. Very similar but different. 

Same for both. The only difference between the two is what fits into the Hundo case gauge and that which does not.  Rejects from the gauge go into a 30 cal ammo box for practice, rounds that pass go into MTM 100 round plastic boxes.

To those who will say the barrel is the true gauge,  yes you are right. However, if it fits the Hundo it fits my barrel without question.

I actually have three categories

1) Practice only - I bought some older reloads from the one person on the planet I will shoot his ammo - This has no gauging involved and no consistency worries - gauging rejects also go in this category

2) Local match - Mostly Gauged - run this in practice and in local matches - Bulk packaged.  most makes major but these loads tend to be right at 165

3) Major Match - 100% gauged everything at 1.195 (Limited shooter running .40 cal) running Montana Gold FMJ 180 projectiles at 170 PF 

I used to use the Push through die for the Major match ammo but have quit and just throw those that do not drop into the cause gauge into the Practice only buckets. 

Cheers

GT

Very near Retread1911.

1. No change to reloading process, ammo goes into the bucket.

2. Practice, grab out of bucket and go.

3. Local Matches, grab out of bucket, run through Shockbottle gage. Failures go into separate container for next practice.

4. Major Matches, grab out of bucket, run through EGW gage. Failures go into separate container for next practice.

8 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

My match ammo and my practice ammo is identical, including running each and every round through the case gauge.

If my gun won't run in practice sessions, I want to know it before a match. 

This is  my routine also.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, SCTaylor said:

Same for both. The only difference between the two is what fits into the Hundo case gauge and that which does not.  Rejects from the gauge go into a 30 cal ammo box for practice, rounds that pass go into MTM 100 round plastic boxes.

This is what I do also.

I use .1gr less powder in practice and local matches. The load chronos out to 125 to 127 PF. For Major matched I up the powder by .1gr which gives me 128-131PF. All ammo is case gauged. Those that don't pass get shot in practice. All match ammo is cased gauged. Same bullet with mixed brass.

Edited by mjmagee67

Every once in a while your press needs tweaking.  Like after a link arm breaks and Dillon sends a new pair.  You have to adjust die settings a bit.  I do this on the fly, and any ammo made during this phase is not for matches, but for practice.  It can't be trusted.

Otherwise all ammo is identical.

Same for both.  Some times good deals come up and that is used for practice (super cheap group buys on random projectiles or what ever).  Anything that doesn't pass the plunk test is practice ammo. 

I don't want a different recoil or point of aim. 

Edited by Aric