Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benchrest Rifle to Speed Pistol

Pistolpete9

Might seem like an odd combination, but I tried it yesterday and really liked the results.  We were shooting tiny little targets (.75 inch) at 100 yards and it required very hard focus with the eyes and the trigger pull.  It was a lot of fun with the rifle because we were actually getting hits and we aren't benchrest shooters.

The real shocker came when I moved over to the plate racks after we finished up.  I was just testing out some new ammo to see how it performed and expected to kind of be out of "the zone" since I had been behind a scope for a couple of hours.  To my surprise, my eyes were very much so locked in and ready.  I was tracking far better than I usually do because my eyes were so focused.  

I don't know that I would spend a lot of time shooting benchrest, but focusing on extremely small targets through the scope seems to really prep the eyes and brain.  I'm going to try it again soon. I plan on spending about 30 minutes at home just aiming through a scope and then going straight to the range to shoot pistol.  If it indeed works, I think I finally found a good training regimen for my eyes.

I was the opposite. I went from being a Benchrest shooter to a dedicated USPSA shooter. a couple years ago. The phemonon you mentioned isn't crazy. It a result of heightened concentration, or another way to say it "focus on your sight". 

The trick is take what you learned and build from it incorporating it into your practice and matches.