Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"laser"

fmiller

Hi

Would this be the right place to ask about laser training gizmos?

I'm snowed in a lot these days... I -do- have a small CO2 pistol (Makarov copy) that I use to practice draws, but it is wildly inaccurate..

So... I thought I'd look at other options for off-the-range practice.

What I'm wondering is how effective the lasers are for improving skills, and which approaches or manufacturers have worked best/worst.

Can someone direct me to the right place? 

Thanks~!

f

I have lasers on my two carry guns, S&W 380 bodyguards. The laser appears just over my front sight and will produce a point of aim hit to 25 ft. I don't require more as I feel that any confrontation I have will most likely be 3 to 5 ft or less. I am 74 now and an x police weapons and tactics training officer. I have dealt with people at gunpoint and believe my conclusions are valid.

If I get a chance to sight on target fine, if not and not in body contact with the assailant then the laser printing on any part of the subjects body will do fine for a first shot of more to come.

I practice with a airsoft semi auto. This is the smallest pistol I could find that has both a double action/single action and blowback and seems to be accurate to 30 ft. It also has a under barrel rail for a laser. I practice on ipsc type targets with restricted hit areas and steel challenge type targets at reduced ranges all run on a timer made for airsoft.

I hope this has been a help and if you would like more info and or photos of targets contact me at ppps@cox.net.

John Kennedy

Image result for KWA USP Compact Pistol

• 2 weeks later...

I also use lasers on my house gun and a couple carry guns. I use a laser training cartridge. I wonder how one is to call shots if one doesn't look at the target? On my open gun, in conjunction with the laser cartridge, I sight on my dryfire target and the momentary laser strike confirms my hits. Seems to be a line of thought here that lasers cause "target focus" and that it's a bad thing. But, the target is where my dot is, so that tends to be where my focus is anyway... My .02 FWIW.

YMMV

4 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I wonder how  to call shots if one doesn't look at the target?

Best to "call shots" by seeing where the sights are when the shot goes off ...

If you have a laser (I have one on my new carry gun), one big advantage is that

you can "watch the target" since that's where the dot is - but, if you're training

to shoot metal sights, by using a laser, that seems to me to be a "bad thing"

to watch the target.