Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forum Problems Again

Sarge

Anybody else having forum issues such as very slow to load and being off line completely?

Im also seeing issues with quote feature. Often won't let me quote outside the original box. This must be why I keep seeing quoted posts that are all mixed together in one box?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Sometimes it's a little slow for me, think that is more on my end than the web site.

That's what I hope to find out. If it's on my end I want to try to fix it. But generally the messages I get say server not found , server not connected etc, while everything else is still super fast on my end

My problem is that I live in an apartment that provides internet, it goes to the office and is then distributed wirelessly over the property and depending on the amount of users at any given time it can speed up (slightly) or slow down.  It isn't ideal but since I don't do any business over it it's more of an inconvenience that any real detriment.

Forums barely working today. Very very slow and locked up completely several times. I took a few screenshots but can't seem to post them. I'll have to post them from PC tonight

Edited by Sarge

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

Tonight on PC Chrome

Not Found

The requested URL /forums.brianenos.com/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

That's a bad/malformed URL.  What were you doing when you got that error?

The slash at the beginning means something is wrong and I'd actually suspect something in your browser - some add-in (extension) that's trying to read the page and change content.  It would also explain the hangs on loading if that extension is hanging trying to pre-process everything.

What extensions have you added into Chrome (ever)?

In Chrome you can go to chrome://extensions/ and see which ones are loaded.

If you want to clean things up, there's a tool for that: https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/

Edited by mreed911
link to srt

Another thought (someone who does pseudo-web-development here): a corrupt cookie for benos could do this, too.  If anything changed in how benos is issuing/formatting cookies, that could do it.  The fix there would be to delete any benos cookies, re-open benos and login and see if that clears it up.

Would also answer the "being prompted to log in every time" question.

Really odd but I don't know crap about computers and phones . :)

sometimes just flat won't load. Sometimes locks up when I try to reply. Or change the page in a thread. 

What puzzles me the most is trying to quote somebody and it brings up MY last post in the thread to quote. That happens about 30-40% of the time

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Really odd but I don't know crap about computers and phones . :)

sometimes just flat won't load. Sometimes locks up when I try to reply. Or change the page in a thread. 

What puzzles me the most is trying to quote somebody and it brings up MY last post in the thread to quote. That happens about 30-40% of the time

Sounds like a corrupt cookie.

I got this from IP:

Hello Brian,  You can ask anyone with issues to clear their cookies for the site, it can't hurt anything.

On the login issue, the same would apply, have them clear their cookies, and then try again, if they are still seeing issues, we would need to know the operating system, browser and version and see if we can duplicate.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Yardbird said:

The delayed opening or failure to load has been getting really bad the past week.

Thank you! Sorry for your problems but I had given up and just figured it was my end.

There have been times the last week or so the forums have been basically unusable for me. Both on safari and chrome on PC. Not loading. Timing out etc.

The worst is when it's working fine and I type a reply to help somebody and the forums just freeze. 

2 hours ago, benos said:

IP made some changes that they said should improve performance.

My experience ( a LOT of experience) is that whenever a provider

(Insurance, cable, etc) "made changes to improve performance",

that means :

1.  they found a way of doing something that saves THEM some $$$

2.  it usually means some kind of problem for ME.   :( 

True, usually, but I don't think so in this case. My man, Rhett, is the man:

Hello Brian,  You're very welcome, I have been doing some testing with your site, and it's increased in performance by about 50%, so hopefully you see this on the site when using it as well.

Thank you again.

Regards, 

Rhett 
Support and Cloud Manager
Invision Power Services, Inc.

(It was a PHP 7 upgrade.)

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2017 at 10:18 AM, Yardbird said:

The delayed opening or failure to load has been getting really bad the past week.

It's been REALLY bad this past week or so.

Edited by Yardbird

12 hours ago, Yardbird said:

It's been REALLY bad this past week or so.

I have given up trying to figure it out. It will work fine for an hour and then out of the blue just lock up. Pretty aggravating after typing a long post only to have it vanish when everything grinds to a halt.