Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 DMR/RECCE Rifle Match Series announcement (E. PA)

Shooters, 

I figured I'd announce the match series here since we have opened up a RECCE class that incorporates just about every 3-gun rifle out there.  This will be a great way to practice your longer game and get good at moving targets.  

The series will consist of five matches between University Rifle Club and New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club.   

The dates will be as follows:

Sunday April 9 - University

Sunday May 21 - University

Saturday June 3rd - New Holland (awaiting club approval)

Saturday July 1 - New Holland (awaiting club approval)

Sunday, August 13 - University

Venues:

These are both excellent venues for this kind of match.  

New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club, 589 Meetinghouse Rd, Gap PA

Steel targets from 200Y to 700Y

Pit targets from 100 to 600Y

Freddy's take:   Huge Pit area that is 65 yards wide.   Expect lots of pop ups, fast movers especially at 300/400Y, and a lot of exploitation of the further distances available.  Stages here will probably tend to focus on accuracy demand, distance, and the ability to spot your targets and get on them quickly.  In other words, more target-dynamic.

University Rifle Club, 550 Schoffers Road, Exeter Township PA

Steel targets from 100Y to 600Y

Pit targets from 100Y to 300Y

Freddy's take:  This place is PROP CITY.   They have a 20 foot shooter's tower, a giant rooftop simulator, a huge shooters "Wall" being built, a 180# jiu jitsu/drag dummy, and a field-target environment that permits unknown/intermediate distance targets.  Stages here will be more prop focused and more shooter-dynamic.

The series will allow competition between two classes of rifles defined as:

• DMR:   A DMR has an optic capable of greater than 6x.   A DMR has a bipod attached to the rifle.

• RECCE:  A RECCE class rifle has an optic that is not capable of more than 6x.  A RECCE rifle has no bipod, grip pod or other front support device.

• BOLT:   You are welcome to try, but this match will favor semi-autos in stage design.  For series points you class up with DMR shooters.  

Either rifle may be in any short action caliber,  have any length of barrel, any muzzle device, and may or may not use a sound suppressor.  

Either rifle may fire any type of ammo except for tracer, AP (M855 variants included).  

Courses of Fire:

Courses of fire and round count will be the same for each class, but the target presentation will vary.   Example: 

Barricade stage:

Target:  Steel at 400Y

10 rounds, 10 points per hit within 70 seconds, two rounds fired from each of five positions  

DMR shooters will engage the 8" round target at 400Y, and RECCE shooters will engage the fullsize IPSC silhouette.  

Courses of fire will be published to all registered shooters before the match date.  

Series Scoring:

Classes are scored separately from each other.  This is really two series in one.  

Each match will result in series points being accrued.   The match winner gets 100 points and automatically qualifies into the finals (which are invitation only).   The other shooters earn their percentage of the top shooter's score.  So if Frank shot a 200 and you shot a 180, 180/200=.9.    Frank earned 100 series points, and you earned 90.   

A shooter may compete in both classes.  If time/attendance permits, at each match, we will allow shooters to fire in both classes in one day for a reduced fee for the second gun.  

The final series score shall be the shooter's best three series points awards accrued across two clubs in each class.  

Stage Scoring:  (I want your comments on this especially)

Stages will be run on a combination of scoring models:

• Points accrual on par time:  e.g. You have 60 seconds, and every hit on the correct target earns 10 points.  
  • Raw time converted into points.
  • Raw time subtracted from points total.

Prizes:

The finals will have what we hope will be a very robust prize table.  We have already had discussions with major vendors whose names you will definitely know.  

Match Directors:

So far, I'm the only one, but there are positions open and I'd love a break.   If you would like to take one of the matches on and are familiar with the type of stages that DMR/RECCE shooters enjoy, please volunteer.  I will help you out in terms of designing the match with time/motion in mind.

Match directors will compete in the series.

Match directors will not be eligible for prizes by finish order.   I do this for fun and am not taking any prizes.  

Rate now: 

Good question.  

You are welcome to shoot as many or as few as you wish.   Toward the last couple matches I think we will have to give preferred spots to the guys who are going after the entire series, but I imagine we'll have lots of room.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...