Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got an open gun, now what ?

magpulled

I have the basic stuff. Belt, holster, mag pouches. I have 2 mbx 140 mags and 3 sv 140 tubes and a 170 sv tube. What base pads and spring/followers do y'all like. I like the way grams pads come off but am open to hear opinions on what the best. What size pads do I need on the 140s and 170s ? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. 

With the mbx, you should start with the mbx guts, follower and basepad. They are good how they are.  With SVI I like TTi followers springs and grams or Dawson basepad. I don't like how TTi basepads come off. Some folks don't mind. Grams springs and followers are good too. Should be able to get at least 29 rounds out of the 170 mags. I run the grams 2.5mm pad on my 170. Could maybe use the 4mm but would need a gauge because it will be close. 

Edited by user293

I run the grams spring and follower in my 170s. I'm still searching for a decent 170 pad that will fit my SV tube and SPS 164mm tube. 

On my SV 140's I run arredondo spring, follower and pad. Gives me 24 in most of those, 23 in one or two (almost 24 in them now too). 

They are a nice kit but the pads are just plastic, not nearly as nice as the dawson pads. 

If the "pads are just plastic" is referring to Grams BP's, they are Delrin.  As long as the tube is within size specs where the pad attaches then it is just as durable as the alum. pads everyone else manufacturers.  The key is the tube within specs, most (STI, SV,SPS) are not.  Meaning the u-pin that grams has to hold the pad onto the tube has to slide in place onto the mag just as easy (or the same amount of friction, however it makes more sense to you) as if you were sliding the u-pin into an empty bp.

Edited by Glk21C

I personally like the Dawson pads in case you have a round flip under the follower or gets round stuck next to the follower down by the basepad.  As for followers, I have never had an issue with the grams but if you want to use SV springs and followers, one of their team shooters that live near us uses 40 followers in his Super mags.

4 hours ago, Glk21C said:

If the "pads are just plastic" is referring to Grams BP's, they are Delrin.  As long as the tube is within size specs where the pad attaches then it is just as durable as the alum. pads everyone else manufacturers.  The key is the tube within specs, most (STI, SV,SPS) are not.  Meaning the u-pin that grams has to hold the pad onto the tube has to slide in place onto the mag just as easy (or the same amount of friction, however, it makes more sense) as if you were sliding the u-pin into an empty bp.

I got some pads used and two had cracks in them. The first time dryfiring with them they both shattered when they hit the ground. I dont know how many times these were dropped but they cant be as durable as the aluminum because I dont see the Aluminum shattering when hitting a carpeted surface no matter how many times you drop them.

40 minutes ago, Shmella said:

I got some pads used and two had cracks in them. The first time dryfiring with them they both shattered when they hit the ground. I dont know how many times these were dropped but they cant be as durable as the aluminum because I dont see the Aluminum shattering when hitting a carpeted surface no matter how many times you drop them.

Yeah, I don't know anybody who uses grams pads personally. When they broke they replaced them with more durable pads.

Hello: I like the Dawson base pads the best for 2011 type pistols. If you want to get 26-27 rounds in your 140mm mags and still make the gauge use the Dawson Para base pads with the TTI spring and followers. On your 170mm I would use the Dawson "SNL" but make sure it fits the gauge. I can't help you on the MBX mags since not many guys here are using them but I would try the Dawson base pads on those also. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I like the Dawson base pads the best for 2011 type pistols. If you want to get 26-27 rounds in your 140mm mags and still make the gauge use the Dawson Para base pads with the TTI spring and followers. On your 170mm I would use the Dawson "SNL" but make sure it fits the gauge. I can't help you on the MBX mags since not many guys here are using them but I would try the Dawson base pads on those also. Thanks, Eric

How are you getting 26-27 rounds in a 140mm mag?  140mm mags should not have any problems fitting the gauge no matter what basepad you use because it only needs to fit in the 170mm side.

30 minutes ago, Fowlmouths said:

How are you getting 26-27 rounds in a 140mm mag?  140mm mags should not have any problems fitting the gauge no matter what basepad you use because it only needs to fit in the 170mm side.

Hello: Did you read what I posted above? Thanks, Eric

25 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Did you read what I posted above? Thanks, Eric

I did, that's why I asked the question?  Don't see anyway possible to get 26-27 rounds in a 140mm mag.  Most 140mm mags will be 23-24 rounds with Dawson SNL and grams guts.

I thought you had a magic trick you could share with us.

Thanks, Scott 

40 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Scott: Did you see the part where I said use a Dawson Para base pad on the 140mm magazine with TTI spring and follower? The magic starts now. Thanks, Eric

You forgot to say hello 

11 hours ago, Glk21C said:

If the "pads are just plastic" is referring to Grams BP's, they are Delrin.  As long as the tube is within size specs where the pad attaches then it is just as durable as the alum. pads everyone else manufacturers.  The key is the tube within specs, most (STI, SV,SPS) are not.  Meaning the u-pin that grams has to hold the pad onto the tube has to slide in place onto the mag just as easy (or the same amount of friction, however it makes more sense to you) as if you were sliding the u-pin into an empty bp.

sorry was referring to the arredondo pad (I did say I'm using arrendondo spring and pad in the 140s). The grams pad is much more solid than the arredondo, it is kind of a slightly rubbery plastic. 

guy, I believe what eric is doing is using the longer parra pads (probably designed for a 120-130mm tube to make it 140mm+, think 20mm+ pad). so it's like a +4 or +5 base pad. total mag length with that pad is probably 155mm or something when used on a 140 tube? I can see that could give you a 26 round "140" though the only part that's 140 is the tube. that makes sense to me. I would suggest you need to look carefully at the transition area at the bottom of the tube to ensure you don't get rounds flipping under as they start stacking inside the base pad.

the parra pads do look to be a +4. https://dawsonprecision.com/basepad-hicap-for-para-extended-tool-less-design-by-dawson-precision/

I have not used them but Eric certainly knows what he's doing. I believe him if he says he gets 26 rounds with this pad on a 140 tube. it would be similar size I guess to an MBX 155 'little big stick' which from memory hold 26 too. 

Base pads can be better or worse depending on where you shoot.  In the sandpit that is SC, the Dawsons suck pretty bad.  Dropping them in sand you will quickly be unable to remove them when sand gets in the mechanism.  TTI or similar are better in my environment.    

You need a mag gauge. Don't take anyone's word for what size pads you need, spend $30 and buy a gauge. I didn't buy a gauge until after I got no score at a level 2 for a 170mm SV mag with a 4g pad that wouldn't fit the gauge.... you need 3g pads on the SV big stick tube.

The Para Dawson pads work great on 126 tubes. The ribs go down further, so the followers don't get stuck. With Grams guts I get 25 reloadable. I never could get it to work with 140 tubes. The follower would always get stuck under the ribs. I can get 26-27 in a 140/Para combo, they just don't come back out for me! I know Eric has, we've talked about it. I think he massages the indents.

i have one Grams basepad on an old SV big stick that is not as long as the later tubes. It is the longest model Grams makes. I don't drop it on concrete, but it is ok on gravel or grass. It has cracks around the pin holes, but no one makes an aluminum equivalent, that I am aware of. 

Edited by OPENB