Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RRA LAR 9 range report

Previously I've owned a dedicated CMMG 9mm AR, an 80% lower I made into a 9mm AR with a Hahn mag block w/mix and match parts, a CZ Scorpion and a different RRA 9mm AR upper on a Colt 9mm AR lower.

Recently I got a Rock River LAR-9 of the CAR A4 variant. When I picked it up, I took it home and did a basic field strip, wipe down and lube, put 6 quarters behind the buffer spring, function test with snap caps and bore sighted a Burris FF. I just grabbed my current USPSA pistol load, 147gr RMR Bullets plated hollow point, 3.3 of Titegroup and a 1.120 oal. It came with one 32 round RRA braned magazine and I brought along a 32 round ASC and a 20 round Metalform.

From the first shot through the gun I was easily on plates at 20 yards as was a new shooter with me. The gun fed my hp bullets that are just a 130pf load perfectly. No adjustments to making them hotter or different oal. The trigger is a mil spec trigger with the expected pull but with a surprisingly good reset. Each mag worked flawlessly and each would lock the bolt back on an empty mag.

Two days later I shot my first Steel Challenge match with the gun and did quite well. I've had 9mm AR's in the past, some took a little bit of work to finesse things how I wanted but this gun has worked great right out of the box and for a sub $1,000 price if you shop around.

I plan on just JP springs and polish for the trigger and my own garage gunsmith work to bevel the magwell. Other than that, not a change seems to be made!

rjrjr.JPG