Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Custom .38 SC needs barrel conversion to 9mm

Wahdaddy49

Have a new Tan. Gold Custom  - comes with 2 barrels - 38 s c  brass is expensive and hard to come by. Going to a steel match which is a "no pick up " match = $80 additional cost in lost brass. 

Looking for a 9mm solution for 3 GN and minor/ steel match use, plan on trading out the single port comp onto a threaded 9mm barrel.

1. cone comp removal = sweated on or loctite? difficulty with removal?

2. Thread pitch.

3. Extractor change ?

4. Additional Mags required?

Thanks,

Wahdaddy

The 6 inch tanfo barrel, guy it to the gun, can't remember the pitch off hand but a Smith should be able to match the comp threads.

Edit: By a comp from grauffel and thread on. Put in a 9mm extractor and extra power spring. That's from a guy who knows more about it that I... Mags should work depending on the mags you use. MBX set them up to do that apparently.

Edited by ryridesmotox

I've never tried to remove a factory installed comp, but I've heard it's nearly impossible to do without destroying it as it's just aluminum.  You can get a new comp from Eric Grauffel: https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/34-compensators

The thread is M15X0.75 and the best place to get the dies is eBay.

The three port is a better design than the two port, but it looks like they're out of stock.  Neither is the best comp I've ever used, so if you have someone who can make you one you're better off.  Otherwise I suggest buying a 9mm Stock II barrel which will work without the comp.

I wouldn't expect you to have extraction issues, but I would suggest using 9mm mags.

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 3 months later...

I have a couple thoughts on comp removal for you.  Firstly I have the same pistol in the same caliber and wanted to do the same thing.....I even thought I had a 6" barrel coming from EAA until they cancelled my order saying that they were back ordered. I did have good success removing the compensator from my barrel, I heated the comp with a torch and it came threaded off really easily, so hopefully yours would do the same.  Getting a replacement barrel or comp is the real issue.  No compensators available, no barrels available.  If anyone has any leads on these items I am all ears!!  I am confused why there isn't a better aftermarket for these guns?  Maybe the introduction of the 170mm MBX magazine will help bring them into the mainstream enough to get a few parts.

Yep I had success removing my factory comp on my v12 too. It actually came a little loose and I assumed it was cracked or broken. Nope just the locking compound had cooked off or gotten damaged by bore cleaner etc. 

i chucked it up in the vice and used some heat. Be gentle as it is aluminium and the cone section gets pretty thin. 

Your best chance will will be to find the plain 6inch 9mm barrel. 

Then pull comp off your super barrel. 

Cut 6incher to length, then thread it, cut the crown and drill as many popple holes as you like (I personally think 12 is nuts. I reckon 6 would be my starting point if I was drilling one.