Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide safety for a leftie on STI Edge

tanks

I recently acquired an STI Edge. The factory safety is so narrow that when coupled with my small hands I have to change my grip to de-activate and leaving my thumb on the safety is very difficult as well. 

I looked at Ed Brown and it is .250" wide, Infinity Wide (not extra wide as that is for RH folks) ambi safety is .300". I have no idea about Double Tap as I could not find measurements at their site or anywhere else that sells their safeties.

So, Infinity Wide seems to be the ticket unless someone can point me elsewhere that has an even wider safety. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PT ambi is pretty wide on both sides and is shielded as mentioned.

The SV safety is very nice too.

One other option I'd look at is the LSI safety. It's very wide both left and right. They make one with equal sides and one with an even wider left hand side (for righties). 

I have to say the LSI safety for $85 is a good deal. it's machined from tool steel and is a really nice part. Glenn from LSI is a member here and i'm sure could tell you how wide the paddle is. 

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=LSI-AMBI&n=Lone-Star-Innovations-Tactical-Ambidextrous-Safety 

one consideration for a lefty is that the tenon joint takes a beating. as you are not directly activating the safety via the left paddle. 

I would consider the EGW safety which has a sleeve over the tenon joint as well as a downstop on the right hand side (uses an extended hammer pin). It's also a beatiful part.

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=EGW11322&n=EGW-HD-Ambi-Safety-Machined-from-Barstock-SS