Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GOT MY FIRST DQ

waltherppq

it is my third idpa, except the DQ, still lots of mistakes. What I can see are:

1. bad stage plan (should do tac reload after finish first three targets)

2. open door is awkward

3. slow shooting for close targets

any other suggestions?

No matter what shooting sport you are participating in you should never allow stage design, target placement, door positioning or anything else interrupt safety. You muzzle swept your hand with a loaded gun, If the gun had gone BANG and put a hole through your hand then bad stage plan and awkwardly opening the door wouldn't be the cause; lack of properly utilized firearm safety would have been.

The most important thing and probably the only thing you should critique from that video is the hand sweep. Put all the other stuff out of your head i.e. stage planning, shooting faster at close targets or when and how to reload until you have perfected how not to point a loaded gun at yourself.

I'm not trying to bash you for DQing, most of us have done it and those who haven't have a 99% chance that they will eventually, but when I have DQed nothing else mattered except figuring out how not to allow it to happen again. 

Always practice and train safety first.

It's all about priorities. 

I think if one trains always to keep the gun high during movement, reloads etc., then DQs as shown will not happen just as a matter of course. As a lefty I would love a door that opens to the right ;) , however all doors in the matches I have competed in opened to the left so far, so I do have to cross the plane of the firearm to open the door. Training myself to hold the gun high means I do not even have to think about how to safely open the door, it just happens as a matter of course. Not to mention not much firearm movement is required to bring the gun to the target, the height is almost there already. 

11 hours ago, Bigbadaboom said:

No matter what shooting sport you are participating in you should never allow stage design, target placement, door positioning or anything else interrupt safety. You muzzle swept your hand with a loaded gun, If the gun had gone BANG and put a hole through your hand then bad stage plan and awkwardly opening the door wouldn't be the cause; lack of properly utilized firearm safety would have been.

The most important thing and probably the only thing you should critique from that video is the hand sweep. Put all the other stuff out of your head i.e. stage planning, shooting faster at close targets or when and how to reload until you have perfected how not to point a loaded gun at yourself.

I'm not trying to bash you for DQing, most of us have done it and those who haven't have a 99% chance that they will eventually, but when I have DQed nothing else mattered except figuring out how not to allow it to happen again. 

Always practice and train safety first.

It's all about priorities. 

thanks so so much! really great advice for me as a beginner 

57 minutes ago, tanks said:

I think if one trains always to keep the gun high during movement, reloads etc., then DQs as shown will not happen just as a matter of course. As a lefty I would love a door that opens to the right ;) , however all doors in the matches I have competed in opened to the left so far, so I do have to cross the plane of the firearm to open the door. Training myself to hold the gun high means I do not even have to think about how to safely open the door, it just happens as a matter of course. Not to mention not much firearm movement is required to bring the gun to the target, the height is almost there already. 

it seems the door is specially designed for you lefty:P

i will keep your suggestions in mind

Did you at least get a Blizzard on your way home?  Welcome to the club.  I'm not a member yet but I'm sure it'll happen one day.  Head back to the next match and now you're the guy with wisdom to spread to the newbies. :)