Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to remove extra powder and primers

Thanks for all the input guys!

I think the easiest option for primers is to only put in what I'm going to load. This is my first progressive press so I needed to learn that one the hard way.

So far I have just left the powder in there. Now that I know it's not going to hurt anything by doing so I feel much more comfortable leaving it that way.

On a side note, progressive presses are amazing! Going from batch loading on a turret press to a progressive is Night and day difference.

Last weekend I wanted to load up 100 rounds. That would have taken an hour with my old setup. I knocked it out in 20-25 mins and I am still in the "cautious" phase.

On 1/16/2017 at 4:07 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I don't see any suggestions on how to remove excess primers.

In my case I use two types of primers.  They are Winchester SPP and Winchester SRP.

Very rarely I've had to shut down with primers left in the tube and come back wanting to switch primers. But what if it does happen?  Other than "not" loading too many primers, any suggestions to the OP question on how to get them out of the loader?

The 550 has a pin that holds the primers from falling out of the tube, unless the primer slide bar brings the cup back and allows a primer to drop. The only way I know how to remove primers from the tube, is to remove the primer housing with the tube. Turn it over and dump the primers in a tray. 

1 hour ago, Youngeyes said:

The 550 has a pin that holds the primers from falling out of the tube, unless the primer slide bar brings the cup back and allows a primer to drop. The only way I know how to remove primers from the tube, is to remove the primer housing with the tube. Turn it over and dump the primers in a tray. 

That's pretty much what I thought.  I've had my 550 since the mid-80's. Every once in a while I learn something new so thought I;d ask.

Once I get the primer cup lined up perfectly with the shell plate, no one touches those screws holding the primer assembly in place.

In the past if I had some unwanted primers in the tube, I'd just prime some brass for future use.  I guess I will stay with that.

Thanks.

Bill

23 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

I am still in the "cautious" phase.

May I suggest, with all due respect, that you are in the correct phase.

New reloaders often want to see how fast they can churn out cartridges. And sometimes what they churn out are squib loads and double charges. The bywords of reloading are "cautious" and "observant."

As one contributor is fond of saying: You have to remember that you are making little grenades--and they can blow up your gun, or your hand, or worse. There is no such thing as being "too careful." If something doesn't look right, or feel right, or sound right--stop immediately. Assess the situation and ask for help when you need it. The people on this forum have an immense wealth of knowledge and experience. And as you have seen, they will help you.

Best wishes. Enjoy the journey. 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, jacala said:

Recently I've put a 2"x2" packet of Silica Gel in my 550 and SDB.

Prior to that I've left the powder in the hoppers and had no problems.

Be careful.  There was a post a while back where a guy taped one of those packets to his hopper lid.  Fast forward several months and it ended up falling into the powder without him noticing.  He started investigating after having a squib and found the silica packet at the bottom of the hopper.

31 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

Be careful.  There was a post a while back where a guy taped one of those packets to his hopper lid.  Fast forward several months and it ended up falling into the powder without him noticing.  He started investigating after having a squib and found the silica packet at the bottom of the hopper.

It was Rowdy...ask him about that.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, Expflier said:

I've had to do it a couple times on a 1050. I take out screws, put my finger in front and tilt it back controlling the primers best I can while they pile up on the primer slide 

Instead of doing that, try what I do, make a brass shim, slide it under the primer tube, bend the tabs up on both sides, remove the screws and while holding the tabs to the tube block, lift and dump.

I just bought the uniquetek powder drain gizmo.  Works like a charm.  Especially if you change powders a lot.  Even let's you change powder bars if necessary. Kind of pricey with 10 bucks for shipping, but really convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the powder is easy ( I love my 550 ) I just take the tool head off and with my brass funnel pour it back in the bottle. Then I actuait the mechanisum a few times over the funnel. I have not figured out the primers and do my round 100 at a time or just leave them till next time.

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2017 at 2:32 PM, KIRK J said:

I must be the only one who does it this way, pull the failsafe arm, loosen the two set screws on the powder measure, lift measure off of the powder die and empty.  Cycle the arm a few times to get the last little bit of powder below the baffle.  15 seconds tops

For those last granules that are stuck by static electricity I use compressed air. Is there a better way?

For unloading the primers. I just put them in cases. If you run out of bullets or powder and still have primers in the tube just run the cases through stage 1 and get rid of the rest of the primers.Put them in a ziplock in the bin of empty cases. Then the next time you start, Start your process by putting case in then rotating, until they're all through.

Just use rifle primers for everything (speaking of small primers) and you don't have to worry about removing them.  I use Tula SRMP in 9mm, .45 ACP and .223/5.56 and they work well in all.  If you are running close on your PF you might chrono a few loads after changing primers to make sure your ok PF wise.