Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 3G rifle build need advice on components

nikdanja

Wondering what you guys use:

- bolt carrier group

- bolt

- recoil system

- adjustable gas block

slowly building my rifle and just doing my research/price comparison.  Also if you guys are selling these, let me know because I'll be interested. 

- bolt carrier group - JP Low Mass 

- recoil system - Carbine buffer and JP flatwire spring

- adjustable gas block - None (if forced with a gas system too short or port too large, Superlative Arms)

I used to run a standard gas block, full mass rainier arms bolt/carrier, and standard carbine buffer with a rifle length gas system.

last year I went all JP with the setup. Adjustable gas block, LMOS carrier, enhanced bolt, and silent captured recoil spring. The setup is absolutely amazing for recoil reduction and the JP carrier is super easy to clean.

the one thing about running the rifle length gas system is that I am running the adjustable gas block nearly wide open. In my case, I don't think the adjustable block makes any difference.

I run 18" rifle length

BCG and Bolt - Iron City Rifle Works EVO G2 Competition Series

Recoil System - Taccom ALW 223 recoil system and enhanced rifle spring

Adjustable Gas Block - Odin Works

Muzzle Break - Odin Works Atlas 5

Edited by PCKLST

18" Nordic barrel with rifle-length gas, fixed gas block, JP LMOS bcg, JP light rifle buffer (red) and JP extra power rifle length buffer spring. I've run it for 4 years, it's boringly reliable. I run a Lantac brake, which could be improved upon with something like an SJC or Rolling Thunder comp.

• 2 weeks later...

JP Components are the way to go, one of the best companies for reliable product.  In 3 gun, you want reliability

JP lightened bolt carrier and bolt (bolt carrier has a special coating for a smoother action)

JP lightened buffer and spring

Seekins adjustable gas block

Combine this with a JP, Lantac, Odin, or Surefire competition brake and you have a very flat shooting rifle

Midlength gas system will allow you to optimize on the potential of all these components

Welcome to the sport!

I understand why people buy JP stuff after handling a few items and rifles, and I perceive it to be the best stuff available for AR15's.

I'd own JP if money were no object, but it is, and I am just a hobbyist. Therefore, I went about as cheap I could could go for a low mass system.

18" Faxon gunner rifle w/ Apex brake (this brake is so slim and perfect for these barrels, imo)

AIM LW BCG 

Sprinco reduced power spring

Taccom plastic carbine buffer

Cheap cheap cheap. But, it shoots great. Very smooth and very happy with it.

At some point I'll likely have to upgrade to JP or Iron City or something, as I don't have a lot of allusions about the quality of the 110$ AIM.

• 2 weeks later...

Tax com buffer system both rifle and carbine legnth

rubber city gas key, 

d Wilson mfgr.   For bolt and bcg

ross sculler muzzle brake  ( largest part of perceived recoil equation)

was working towards a budget build.....  It holds it own wit big $$$$ rifles

if I wanted to build another and  I'd and I had unlimited funds......  I'd use same components. 

i'm going to have to respectfully  dis agree with tater

while the components listed  are great parts and work great  and are $$$

i think tuning the gas  tames  the rifle movement that little bit more in addition to lo mass BCG and tuned buffer spring,   go to a gas key on BCG  and it is serviceable  and have yet to hear of blockage.

I'm also going to have to disagree with tatertot. When I was buying all these go fast parts one at a time, having all the low mass components without adjustable gas actually put the rifle in a very overgassed state, the recoil was noticeably sharper. The other option (if you load your ammo) is to tune your ammo to your components.

But yes, it's likely that any adjustable GB is going to freeze up or erode. I own GB's ranging from $30-$120 and my current philosophy is to buy the cheap ones and consider them disposable parts. Any time I make a significant load change or buy other parts and need to retune the gas I just get a new GB.

Edited by TonytheTiger