Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best mag pouches for limited?

Superpipe9

I've tried a bunch.  My preference is for pouches that do not apply retaining pressure on the sides of the mags.  Both DAA pouches have an adjustable tensioner that presses on the back of the mag.  You can adjust it so a fully loaded mag cannot fall out, even if you hold the belt upside down and shake it.  Yet it still draws as smooth as silk.  I went with the DAA Racer, because of cost and I don't need the outward adjustment of the Race Master.  I use them for my CZ and 2011 mags and have no complaints.

If you dont care about cost the racemaster pouches are the best.  If you want to keep it on the less expensive side the racer or the cr speed pouches are just fine and give you the same adjustability.  

13 hours ago, mikev49 said:

If you dont care about cost the racemaster pouches are the best.  If you want to keep it on the less expensive side the racer or the cr speed pouches are just fine and give you the same adjustability.  

agree!

Racemaster for me is the best I've found.  I shoot bullets out and position my pouches the same way for both Limited and Production.  I liked Ghost but the mounting bracket on the belt is a little wider and seemed to force wider spacing between pouches.  The Racemaster (and I'm sure Racer also) allows tighter spacing if that matters to you.  If you are not on a tight budget, the Racemaster or Racer can pretty much set them up to do nearly anything which helps if you like trying different positions as your skill changes.

Can't speak to bullets forward-only but CR Speed Versa's have been the dominant brand out there for years.

Ì guess I'm old school, but I like my Safariland 771's. Rollers in the back & the mags come out so smooth. I drilled new holes & mounted them bullets-out, & replaced the tension screws with thumb adjustable screws. I use them in open & limited, mounted in front. For production & single stack, I have old Safariland 077's, bullets forward. Simple but very effective. 077's are long gone, but copsplus.com has 771's for $21 each. The kydex Safariland uses is very strong, I've never broken one, unlike what I've read about the newer pouches.

I started with the CR speed versa pouches and I really did like them.  No complaints.  Then I set up a carry optics rig and decided to use the versas for that and upgrade my limited pouches as thats my primary division.   I decided on the race master pouches and wow.  They really are awesome.  The adjustability and retention system is just great.  These really are the cadillac of pouches as far as I'm concerned.  If cost is an issue you can save a lot of money with the versas and I can say you wont regret it either they are a quality product also.  Its just the little details that stand out with the race masters.

Like Edge, I started with the CR speed pouches and did like them. I tried one of the race masters and made the switch to them for my Open/Limited rig. I do like the adjustability and they work so nicely with my set up. They are pricey which is why I only use 3 plus one magnet.

DAA Race master hands down. I had a CR speed set up, a Ernie Hill holster and pouches and I even have the Black Scorpion pouches. The Ernie Hill stuff works fine but it's a little bulky for me and the CR speed just don't feel right to me. Go with the buy once cry once theory and put out the extra money for the DAA Race master set up. You'll be more then happy.

On 1/20/2017 at 3:30 PM, BBQRibs said:

I switched from CR Speeds to Racers and like the Racers retention, adjustability, and sturdiness better. 

That said, a box is enroute with Race Masters in it.  :D

You think you like the racers you gonna love  the masters. I said I didn't need the masters cause I liked the racers but when you get them you'll see the difference. Never use nothing else besides the race masters. 

19 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

You think you like the racers you gonna love  the masters. I said I didn't need the masters cause I liked the racers but when you get them you'll see the difference. Never use nothing else besides the race masters. 

Thanks that's good to hear. 

They should be solid. Is it poor fit between the spigot on the back of the ratchet type piece that fits into the pouch? Or do they just need a tighten?

the rm pouches have a ball joint there instead of the ratchet type plastic washers. It can come loose when new but settles down after a while. 

On 1/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, BBQRibs said:

I switched from CR Speeds to Racers and like the Racers retention, adjustability, and sturdiness better. 

That said, a box is enroute with Race Masters in it.  :D

So have you tried them yet? If so what's the verdict, worth all that extra coin or not? Thanks