Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris announces new 1-6 Scope designed for 3 Gun

RT-6 Riflescope

The new RT-6 is exactly what the competitive shooting world needs. Quick to point and easy to handle, 3-Gun shooters will definitely want to add this to their optics arsenal.

Features of the RT-6 1-6x24mm include:
• Illuminated reticle with 11 levels of illumination
• Integrated throw lever
• Main tube size: 30mm
• Waterproof, shockproof and fog proof
• Nitrogen filled
• Matte finish

MSRP $419
Kit with RT-6, FastFire 3 and PEPR Mount: MSRP $659

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Reticle pics or its not real!

Probably not available until after Shot Show.

The article Steve linked indicates it their " Ballistic AR™ mil reticle".  Very similar to the XTR and I think will be quite useable.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

6 hours ago, JimmyBob said:

The prices in the original post aren't going to work out, the prices in the link should be very competitive.

I think you're in for some disappointment then.

Edited by TonytheTiger

It was suggested to me to grab the

Burris Fullfield TAC30 1-4x24 Riflescope,Ballistic CQ Reticle w/ 3MOA Fastfire 3 & 30mm AR-P.E.P.R. Mount 200433-FF       

for a 3-gun AR.

Would one of these be better for 3-gun?

I'm not much versed in rifle scopes. What are opinions on these? Seems it's a more expensive option & doesn't have a mount in the package for what I can tell.

I've not done much research on scopes yet so any help is appreciated as I'm new to shooting & planning to start competing in 3-gun this spring. Was hoping to stay around $500 total.

The reticle on the 1-4x  is very similar to that on the older Burris MTAC,  That was my starter scope in 3 gun.  Great at short distances but ate my lunch past 150 yards.  Others on here may disagree but that's my experience.

The reticle on the new 1-6x is similar to that on the Burris XTR and XTRii scopes.  For me it was a much better reticle.  I don't know how long a wait until its released, but if the glass is anywhere near as good as it is in the XTR scopes, you will see one on my carbine.

The PEPR mount is nice for the money.  If you get the Fastfire 3 and mount it on your rifle, it will bump you into Open/Unlimited class.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The tac30 is great scope for the money.  I bought one 3yrs ago when I started 3gun and has worked well from 0-300yds for me.  Illumination is trash but I don't need it due to the reticle design.

I would skip the combo package and buy a mount separate.  You can also easily get 10% off coupons for optics planet (Jesse T.).

Let's hope they bring out the 1-6 soon and that the quality matches the existing mtac/tac30 vs some of the Chinese 1-6's currently available

21 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

The reticle on the 1-4x  is very similar to that on the older Burris MTAC,  That was my starter scope in 3 gun.  Great at short distances but ate my lunch past 150 yards.  Others on here may disagree but that's my experience.

The reticle on the new 1-6x is similar to that on the Burris XTR and XTRii scopes.  For me it was a much better reticle.  I don't know how long a wait until its released, but if the glass is anywhere near as good as it is in the XTR scopes, you will see one on my carbine.

The PEPR mount is nice for the money.  If you get the Fastfire 3 and mount it on your rifle, it will bump you into Open/Unlimited class.

7 hours ago, lumberjack149 said:

The tac30 is great scope for the money.  I bought one 3yrs ago when I started 3gun and has worked well from 0-300yds for me.  Illumination is trash but I don't need it due to the reticle design.

I would skip the combo package and buy a mount separate.  You can also easily get 10% off coupons for optics planet (Jesse T.).

Let's hope they bring out the 1-6 soon and that the quality matches the existing mtac/tac30 vs some of the Chinese 1-6's currently available

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hmmm, I want to be in the tactical or practical division, as I think it's called now, so what would you recommend to me for around a $500 or so budget? Keep in mind I'm a novice & this will be my first rifle/scope combo. I'm no dummeh though, so it doesn't 'have' to be a simple plug & play type deal that I'll need to replace too quickly. I'd rather have something that I can use for a good while right off. I'll be using it on an Armalite AR 13.5" 3-Gun ed.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hmmm, I want to be in the tactical or practical division, as I think it's called now, so what would you recommend to me for around a $500 or so budget? Keep in mind I'm a novice & this will be my first rifle/scope combo. I'm no dummeh though, so it doesn't 'have' to be a simple plug & play type deal that I'll need to replace too quickly. I'd rather have something that I can use for a good while right off. I'll be using it on an Armalite AR 13.5" 3-Gun ed.

Check out the Steiner p4xi 1-4x. I have one on my 3Gun rifle and it awesome. Like the Vortex Razor HDII, but only 4x and about $550. Has great glass, same reticle as the Razor and a daylight bright red dot in the center. I switched to one from a Strike Eagle 1-6x and love it. Even though I lost 2x on the top end, I shoot better at long distance with the Steiner because the glass is better and the reticle is much more precise (the reticle lines on the Strike Eagle are too thick so the holdover lines are worthless because they cover the entire target). I have mine in a cheap, lightweight Aero Precision mount and it has held zero since the day I mounted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Huch said:

Check out the Steiner p4xi 1-4x. I have one on my 3Gun rifle and it awesome. Like the Vortex Razor HDII, but only 4x and about $550. Has great glass, same reticle as the Razor and a daylight bright red dot in the center. I switched to one from a Strike Eagle 1-6x and love it. Even though I lost 2x on the top end, I shoot better at long distance with the Steiner because the glass is better and the reticle is much more precise (the reticle lines on the Strike Eagle are too thick so the holdover lines are worthless because they cover the entire target). I have mine in a cheap, lightweight Aero Precision mount and it has held zero since the day I mounted it.

Same exact experience here. Love the Steiner and don't miss the SE at all.

17 hours ago, Huch said:

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

Same exact experience here. Love the Steiner and don't miss the SE at all.

Thanks guys. Was able to find a youtube video on the steiner & it does look nice. I'm not very versed in scopes, but from what little I've read & been told it's defo on my short list atm. I was told that most in practical div. are shooting 1-6x is there any particular reason for this? What's the average long range target distance?

Thanks guys. Was able to find a youtube video on the steiner & it does look nice. I'm not very versed in scopes, but from what little I've read & been told it's defo on my short list atm. I was told that most in practical div. are shooting 1-6x is there any particular reason for this? What's the average long range target distance?

All things being equal, more magnification is better for the long range stuff, at least up to 8 or 10x. The problem is that things are never equal and most people think magnification is the most important thing about a scope (when actually the glass quality matters more) so they buy the highest magnification variable scope they can get. 1-4x used to be the hotness, now everyone is getting 1-6's and the pro level guys have 1-8's. When it comes to variable 1-?x scopes, you are generally paying for the low end and the glass quality.

I went shooting with a friend of mine and I had a decent mid level scope (Vortex 2.5-10x PST) and he had some cheap 16x scope. We were shooting at 200yds and I had to tell him where he was hitting because I could see his bullet holes and he couldn't, even though he had a more "powerful" scope.

Max range in matches is generally range dependent and most just work with whatever they have. Longest I've seen is 620 yds at Hard as Hell in Utah but my local club shoots to 370. Both are doable with a good 1-4 but are easier with a good 1-6.

I have the Burris 1.5 X 8.  I love the scope, but to be honest, I don't use 8X. I stop at 6X as that is where my yardages line up the best for me. I have used 8X on 600 and determined that I like 6X better. I hit the 620 yarder at Hard as Hell on the second shot. The other benefit of 6X is I can leave it at 6X and shoot from 100 on out at that magnification. I don't think I could do the same with it at 8.