Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun - Cleaning

abb1

I have always cleaned my open guns right after either practice or a match. I made sure that it was properly lubed and cleaned. I always like to make sure that the gun is properly oiled before putting 100+ high pressure loads through it. I always thought that everyone has does this, but listening to others talk, it seems like I am the only one. How often do you clean your open gun?

I ALWAYS clean my gun after shooting it...  round count does not matter... I have seen some shooters gun jam because of a dirty or not lubed gun.. I try to eliminate problems before they arise..

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

I have always cleaned my open guns right after either practice or a match. I made sure that it was properly lubed and cleaned. I always like to make sure that the gun is properly oiled before putting 100+ high pressure loads through it. I always thought that everyone has does this, but listening to others talk, it seems like I am the only one. How often do you clean your open gun?

Everytime after my match. I used froglube and i run my gun dry and no hiccup!!!

I shoot 2-3 times a week live fire, and 2-3 times dryfire. 

After Live fire and before dryfire i normally clean up the gun.  By clean, i mean a field strip (Slide off, boresnake once or twice and add oil)

I normally only do a complete tear down like once/month.  As others have said, i ALWAYS take a dirty gun (with new oil) to a major match so I know it works.

23 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

I shoot 2-3 times a week live fire, and 2-3 times dryfire. 

After Live fire and before dryfire i normally clean up the gun.  By clean, i mean a field strip (Slide off, boresnake once or twice and add oil)

I normally only do a complete tear down like once/month.  As others have said, i ALWAYS take a dirty gun (with new oil) to a major match so I know it works.

29 minutes ago, niroth81 said:

This whole thing about taking a dirty (but lubed) gun to a match to me is a bit concerning. Why don't you trust your skills to assemble your gun, AND trust your gun enough that a clean gun will operate?

Trust but verify. Why not do a quick test? It's easy and takes next to no time. I'd rather be sure than assume I've got a functioning gun.

I clean and then walk outside and verify my zero with 10-20 rounds.

1 minute ago, niroth81 said:

We have to shoot at a registered handgun range, and my local is only open wednesdays and weekends. I get when you are saying, but still. I function check my gun after cleaning, never once had an issue.

Ah see, if I was restricted like that then I might not bother. But its easy and convenient. Plus, I just like to shoot my guns. Function test with live ammo haha.

I didn't do a complete tear down and clean on my open gun for the first two years, just the occasional field strip and clean.  The only appreciable difference noted after the cleaning was the trigger break, never an issue with reliability.  In all honesty the only reason I did a full cleaning was to tune my primary and backup (once received) to have similar trigger pulls.  My opinion is a gun is similar to an engine, as long as it is properly lubed and serviced a total overhaul is unnecessary until you experience a reduction in performance.

6 hours ago, JWard79 said:

My opinion is a gun is similar to an engine, as long as it is properly lubed and serviced a total overhaul is unnecessary until you experience a reduction in performance.

This has been my thought as well with a standard 9mm, or a base  gun. With open guns shooting 9mm major or 38 super, I have always cleaned them by field stripping them, cleaning barrel, frame and slide of all residue and providing fresh lube after every use. Doing a comparison to cars is a good example as you change the tires on a basic car about every three years, where you change the tires on an indy 500 race car after every race, sometimes during. I mean, we have lightened recoil springs, lightened slides, using ammo that has 2 gr more powder than the safe limit per manufacturer creating major pressures rapidly in very little time during rapid fire. Our race guns compared to a regular 9mm handgun, are like indy cars compared to a caravan. I was really surprised when I heard someone say that his racegun is due for a cleaning as he hasn't cleaned it since the summer. At that point, I am thinking 'is this normal?'  Damn, I guess it is........

Edited by abb1

I clean the top half of my STI before each match. The bottom gets cleaned every two thousand rounds, or so. The only grease I use goes on the mag release spring, and the hammer spring. Everything else gets Harley Davidson 50 weight, full synthetic. 

Also, I personally don't use bore cleaner (solvent). I use Kano Kroil oil on a giant Q-tip to remove the crud, then a dry one to remove the Kroil.  

I usually clean mine after a match and for sure a few days before a match and go shoot about 20 rounds out of it to make sure everything is working.  For some reason, my gun does not like to be extra clean.  I have noticed that if I take my gun to a match and it has just been cleaned, I will have a jam or two on the first stage.  After that, the gun will run flawless.  So from now on I make sure to shoot at least 20 rounds out of it after I have cleaned so when I go to match, it will work flawless. 

On 1/13/2017 at 1:52 AM, JWard79 said:

I didn't do a complete tear down and clean on my open gun for the first two years, just the occasional field strip and clean.  The only appreciable difference noted after the cleaning was the trigger break, never an issue with reliability.  In all honesty the only reason I did a full cleaning was to tune my primary and backup (once received) to have similar trigger pulls.  My opinion is a gun is similar to an engine, as long as it is properly lubed and serviced a total overhaul is unnecessary until you experience a reduction in performance.

Curious who built your open gun?

I think it really depends on your gun.  I have had some open guns that I could shoot 700 -800 rounds through and not even oil and they would continue working no problems.  My current gun needs to be cleaned every 300 rounds.  I think it also may matter what components you are loading.

It really depends on the gun.  For instance, my 40sw CZ 75 Tac Sport will run almost forever without cleaning anything.  My 2011 will only go for 350-400 rounds before it starts acting up.  The first several shots from the Tac Sport are off zero, so I make it a habit of shooting 10 rounds through the cleaned gun/bore the day before a match.  The 2011 is pretty close, but I do the same anyway, just in case.