Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 2011 help

Aldila

After loving the 1911 pistol from being introduced a couple years back,I'm looking at getting a STI 2011 in 9mm. I originally thought the Tactical DS 5.0 was my choice, but know the edge, eagle, and marauder have all been suggested to me for candidates. 

This will be a fun ONLY pistol to just shoot and possibly use for home sd. I'm curious at overall thoughts on the above mentioned 2011's, as well as the difference in recoil between edge style and eagle.

I would say the full dust cover on the edge is more weight up front, which will mitigate a little bit more muzzle rise. You just need to decide if you want a rail, full dust cover,  or not the full dust cover, that's the main difference. 

I like the look of the full dust cover, but obviously it weighs more.. I'm a couple hours from dawson precision and can go purchase the edge or eagle there in stock. So I can feel of those 2, but don't think have the Marauder in stock. Is the function of all the same? Smoothness? Reliability? 

From my angle, the 5" Edge style is ideal for Limited competition and as it's indexing and comfort for HD, for me anyway, is not an issue, it is the ideal compromise as a weapon that can accommodate both SD and competition.  

If you are not overly accustomed to 2011 style pistols, you will probably notice little difference in feel initially between the two models.  

Most importantly, with dry and live fire practice, you will adapt to whatever you buy so consider go with what you would prefer from a feel and asthetics standpoint.  

I carried a 9mm Eagle as an off duty gun for a good bit; thing shot flat flat flat.

Had Eagles/Edges in 40 over the years; Edge definitely shoots flatter, but I think in 9mm you might not need or notice the difference.

I have the Tactical 5.0 in 9mm, but I kinda wish I had the Bomar rear sight of the Edge.  I also changed the front to a fiber optic, which the Edge already has.  The Edge also comes with a little bit lighter trigger out of the box than the Tactical.  That may not matter much if you plan on upgrading the trigger anyway.  

If it were me, I'd buy none of the pistols you mentioned.   For you, something built on a Caspian HiCap frame seems like it would be best.  Les Baer and several others make them.  I'd also go to 40 S&W.  Fewer HiCAp feeding problems, because it is a straight walled case.  It is a better HD round as well.  It feels like a 1911 in your hand.  Use MBX mags.

I love both of my Edge pistols in 9mm and .40SW. They are great for action pistol games. If I were thinking about a double stack 1911/2011 style pistol for SD/HD, I would sure consider an Eagel bushing barrel gun. The difference in felt recoil from a bushing barrel instead of the BBL wouldn't matter to me as much as the greater accuracy benefit from a bushing barrel pistol.

Well, since you're talking about 9mm, I wouldn't be too concerned about the LDC...not much recoil there anyway and it sounds like you are using it for fun/home defense, so I see some benefit to the light rail on the Marauder.  I think that would be my choice for your intended use.  Should also be good for 3gun and IDPA if you ever wanted to use it for those sports.  Not sure if you want to or not, but options are always good.