Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-Comp

acoop101

I have the chance to stock up on this powder for a very good price but I am starting to wonder if it is a red headed step child since Alliant doesn't seem to have very much information on it. I am wanting to load up blasting ammo and I am wondering if anyone has come up with a load like the 24.5 grains of TAC that runs well and shoots well. Even for blasting ammo I have been using the 55 gr. varmint nightmare from midsouth since they seem to shoot as well as anything and do one hell of a job on ground squirrels and paper targets. If anyone is using this powder if they are willing to share what is working for them I would appreciate it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've become kind of fond of AR-comp. I've used it in my hoser ammo the last couple years. I've been using 24gr if it under a 55gr Hornaday fmjbt. It will hold 1 MOA with my Nordic barrel. I'm going to try 23gr of it this year. I don't think my hoser ammo needs to be that hot. I've also been experimenting with 60gr Nosler BT for 300-600yds. I played with Varget and AR-comp because I had both. I can't tell a major different between the two powders. If I can keep sub-MOA with a bulk powder I already use for my hoser ammo, it makes it an easy decision. 

I've been using it for years shooting NRA/CMP highpower rifle.  Switched over from Varget and haven't looked back.  It is a bit dirty, but gives plenty of velocity.

Shot out of a 1-7.7 twist 20" A2 model

Sierra 77gr

22.4gr ARCOMP

CCI450 primer

LC brass

2.26" OAL

~ 2720 fps

• 1 month later...