Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of back up parts do you bring to matches?

nikdanja

I shoot Production, so I maybe this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but for local matches I have a spares kit for my gun with all the springs and some critical pins, along with spare fiber rods and a lighter for my front sight.  In a pinch, my carry gun uses the same mags, so I could switch to it in order to finish a match.  If I'm traveling to a larger match, I'll take my full size backup gun in addition to what I take to a local.

Spare Glock 34.

Glock 19 -- Carry gun if legal; second spare, can potentially donate some parts to the 34s, if absolutely necessary.  

Tool bag, with hammer, punches, disassembly tool, sight pusher, Slide-Glide, toothbrush, borebrush, red rags, and every part for a 9mm Glock other than frame, slide, or barrel.

Four Nationals, bunch of Area and Sectional matches, never a problem.....

I have a back up gun. Going to the stock 2 this year so my previous glock 34 is my backup. I also have a complete rig. For belt holster and pouches as well. I keep a bag for each gun with spare fiber and springs etc. if I swapped any parts they go in the bag too just in case 

For a 1911 (or 2011):

a fitted and tested extractor

a fitted and tested slide stop

In my experience those 2 parts represent about 90% of broken parts for the 1911/2011.

-ivan-

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, waktasz said:

I should probably get some spare little screws and such for my holster and pouches 

There was a guy last year that lost a screw from his holster and was only able to continue because a club member had a bag of screws and assorted holster hardware.  That's probably a very good idea.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

There was a guy last year that lost a screw from his holster and was only able to continue because a club member had a bag of screws and assorted holster hardware.  That's probably a very good idea.

I agree.  I lost one screw to a holster while in Utah for area 1 last year.  Fortunately, I found a similar screw at lowes that I was able to use.

Mag Parts (Springs, basepad, followers). Extra Recoil, main, striker springs. Extractor, ejector, and firing pin, and Fibers. If it's a level 2 match or higher I will bring an extra Gun and rig parts (mag holder, parts, extra holster). On a side note I always carry a Trauma kit in my bag.

Spare gun that is just about identical and a spare kits that has everything just short of another frame,slide and barrel. You know how this works=if you bring the spare gun you will hardly ever need it. Since I started doing this, I have only had to go back 3 or 4 times to the spare. Before that when I didn't have the spare? Numerous times I had to open up the spare parts kit as I broke 1 part after another. It's like your pistol "knows" you have options and behaves better because of that.  It's like when your girlfriend knows she has competition-she is so much nicer to you than when she knows that she has you rapped around her finger.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 6:01 AM, M1911 said:

Back when I shot production with a Glock 34, my carry 19 was my backup gun.

I also carried extra fiber optic rods for the front sight, front sight screws, and a Glock tool.

This has been my plan as well. I'm already carrying the 19 until I get to the range, so it's in the car ready to be called upon should the 34 go down. I will say that I've been relying on mag compatibility - which is great, but if a couple mags go down I'd be in trouble. I'm going to add a couple more G19 or 17/34 mags to my kit for backup.

I also don't really have anything done to my 34 that might affect reliability, but if I did, I'd keep the stock parts with me as spares.

The only "Spare" parts I bring are front sight fiber rods. Other than that, I never bring spare parts.

For local matches I don't bring a spare gun. If my gun goes down during a local match then I will just call it quits or borrow a fellow shooters blaster for the remainder of the match.

For major matches I always bring 2 guns. One Primary and one Backup. I have had to switch to my backup a few times over the years. But its very rare. I have actually loaned my backup gun to others at majors more that I have used it myself as a backup. There was one match where I loaned my backup to another guy and my primary broke and we both had to share using my backup. But that was a very, very abnormal situation. Either way we got it done with a smile.

When you go to just about any match, if you are shooting a 2011, there will almost always be someone there who will loan you their backup gun or you can share the same gun. With that known, how much do you really need a backup gun?