Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 - High Volume with 2 different powders

I'm loading about 6K/month with my new Super 1050.  The Redding competition seater and Unitek powder measure make it very easy to load N320 for different handguns all in 9mm.  I have a lot of WSF that I would like to use for my own competition 1911.  I'm wondering how many out there loading in some volume with two powders find it more efficient to use two complete powder measures.  I know some folks will empty and clean their powder measure after each loading session, but I live in a relatively dry climate (not so much this week in CA) and I'm constantly loading.  I will say that with the 1050 I can load more in a single session and might be able to more easily load ahead as it were.

I use 3 different throwers for different powders on one of my 1050's, I am loading 38 Super for Major, Action Pistol and PPC. There are no problems in changing them and the loads never vary. I do remove powder from the thrower at the end of each loading session. Single based powders are more hygroscopic than double based and many fine grained double based powders will clump as the pull moisture out of the air. It takes only a few seconds to empty the thrower and it leaves me feeling comfortable about my next reloading session.

I load around 30K rounds a year in 38 and 9 mm.

18 minutes ago, Service Desk said:

I use 3 different throwers for different powders on one of my 1050's, I am loading 38 Super for Major, Action Pistol and PPC. There are no problems in changing them and the loads never vary. I do remove powder from the thrower at the end of each loading session. Single based powders are more hygroscopic than double based and many fine grained double based powders will clump as the pull moisture out of the air. It takes only a few seconds to empty the thrower and it leaves me feeling comfortable about my next reloading session.

I load around 30K rounds a year in 38 and 9 mm.

I would empty the measure, but not clean as thoroughly as I would do were I switch powders in the same measure.