Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LabRadar indoor issues

Seeing if any of guys running a lab radar have had weird issues with it indoors. I've used mine a bunch out doors and it's fine. Indoors it can get a little weird. I tried to chrono a buddy's open gun today and it did not seem to want to pick up shots at all or at least with great error. I tried all sorts of settings, lowering the sensitivity, changing the offset, I even tried turning it on it's side and shooting over it. It just did not like it at all with errors and sometimes it would just shut off.

After trying non comp'd guns (glock & 1911) and getting results we thought it was the concussion. So I tried my 50ae and it worked fine as well. So we chalked it up to errors from disturbances caused by the comp, but don't really know for sure. Outdoors with comp'd AR's, M1's, bolt guns, etc it's perfect. I guess indoors the challenge for any chrono. It's a great chrono but not infallable. 

Anyone have any sucess trying to chrono an open gun shooting 9 major in a 7 lane indoor range? If so please let me know your settings. Thanks!

I have had no trouble indoors or outdoors.  Try putting it on Low Power. I read that if it keeps turning off it is because of excessive muzzle blast and the batteries are rattled too much, or the radar is reflecting off of something downrange.  The FAQ says you need at least 15 yards for it to work. Make sure you are on Trigger Level 1, Muzzle even with the side of the unit, not past the unit. Keep the muzzle blast from shaking the unit. It wont read if it is vibrating. Use a small diameter tube to align it.

I'll give it another go. I tried triggers 1-8 and it didn't like any of them. The range has 15 yards as well. And as far as the blast goes it worked with the 50ae. Just not an open gun shooting 9 major. Very strange. I also tried batteries and then running a usb pack and would get the spontaneous shut off.

I don't remember what power setting it was on. Oh whats interesting is that with production of single stack guns it read fine and gave full bars of radar strength (icon on the left of the screen) but if it happened to pick up a shot from the open gun it would only show 2 or 1 bar.

Thanks for the thoughts and I'll try it again later and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...