Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ST Augustine general info needed

Our spring break is 2nd week of April and my wife loves St Augustine shopping/ beach etc. 

Decent weather then? Any hotel experience there? We wanted an ocean view room but 4 nights is about 1K at nicer places. We don't need a view that bad! lol But not staying in a crap hole either. Any recommendations?

For a Northerner, the weather will likely feel warm.  Ocean temps prob. around 70 ( I would be in with a wetsuit).

The Ritz at Amelia Island is great and deals can be had off season.

My family and I prefer the Gulf beaches.  Try Longboat key, Siesta Key or Anna Maria Island.

Btw: Destin is beautiful but not on the west coast-- it is in the Panhandle, about an hour east of Pensacola

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

My family and I prefer the Gulf beaches.  Try Longboat key, Siesta Key or Anna Maria Island.

Big agreement there! I lived in south Tampa, dated a girl in Bradenton and we spent a lot of time on Anna Maria.  AM is a beautiful, quiet little island that is not too expensive.  Sarasota is a little further south with some good shopping areas, nice restaurants and plenty to see. If you wind up around Bradenton or Sarasota look up The Chart House restaurant, one of my all time favorite joints.

4 hours ago, Balakay said:

For a Northerner, the weather will likely feel warm.  Ocean temps prob. around 70 ( I would be in with a wetsuit).

The Ritz at Amelia Island is great and deals can be had off season.

Btw: Destin is beautiful but not on the west coast-- it is in the Panhandle, about an hour east of Pensacola

It is west of us, and on the gulf coast...hence west coast.

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

Our spring break is 2nd week of April and my wife loves St Augustine shopping/ beach etc. 

There's only ONE St Augustine.  

Beauty, combined with history, and beaches and warm weather, and lots of shooting nearby :) 

Lots of other places to visit in Florida, and they have beaches and shooting nearby (NOT the panhandle),

but  none  of them have the historical charm.

Tough to recommend a hotel - we stayed in one hotel four times - loved it the first three and hated it

the fourth time :(    Depends on how important beach is - if not, get off the beach and SAVE $$$$$.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sarge, make sure you pack your pistols. Ancient City shoots on the 4th Saturday but If you decide to come down to the Tampa Bay Area we shoot Tuesday's and Friday's and 4th Sunday.

If you like golf and are ok with not having a ocean view you can stay inland at the Renaissance World Golf Village

Edited by Pizzim

If you like to fish you could get an inshore charter while your wife shops.  Or take her with you.

It's been quite a few years since we have been but for restaurants check out current reviews for  Columbia, and Osteen's.