Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Rule Change Basics Shooters Should Know

ES13Raven

I wanted to have a simple list of changed rules that I can give to your average shooter at a match.

Here is what I have so far:

1. Scoring is changed to 1 second per point down
2. Fault Lines must be used to delineate “cover”
3. Shooters can step on Fault Lines, but not touch anything on the non-cover side
4. SOs do not give “cover” warnings anymore
5. New IDPA Target with 4” circle in head (-0) rest of head (-1)
6. Can reload anywhere, anytime as long as not exposed to un-engaged targets
7. Shooters can re-engage a target from other shooting positions
8. No more Tactical Sequence, only Tactical Priority
9. No more Failure to Neutralize (FTN) penalty
10. New Flagrant Penalty (FP) 10 seconds, requires MD approval
11. If you run dry in the open, can reload and continue engaging

44 minutes ago, Cfish said:

So I can drop an empty mag with a round in the chamber and not get a PE or the new FP?

No. 

That's a "speed reload" and will get a PE. 

Edited by B_RAD

10 hours ago, IronArcher said:

Yet another retarded rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes!  

Buuutttt.... if they allowed for that, it'd be a little closer to USPSA and I think the consequences would be two fold. 

The first would be more USPSA shooters would (maybe) shoot IDPA and they would be better than most if the middle of he pack IDPA shooters. That would piss them off, they'd whine, and we'd get another change. 

The other would be more IDPA shooters  would shoot USPSA and they'd get better then come back and do what I listed above. Then some of them wouldn't come back to IDPA and then the memebership would go down.  

Two extreme examples but I think that's what might happen. Or at least they think it could. 

4 hours ago, tanks said:

I'd shoot IDPA now and then if they allowed speed reloads.

oh they're allowed, they just come with a few extra seconds added to them...

jeez guys, get some time in idpa with your actual carry guns we don't use in uspsa because they're not competitive, and it's idpa so who cares how you place...

On 1/12/2017 at 9:50 PM, B_RAD said:
On 1/12/2017 at 9:05 PM, Cfish said:

So I can drop an empty mag with a round in the chamber and not get a PE or the new FP?

No. 

That's a "speed reload" and will get a PE. 

My reading says you can do it, you just can't leave the magazine or any live rounds behind. So do a speed reload, but pick up the mag/moonclip/loose rounds before moving.  Of course that defeats the whole purpose of the speed reload.

13 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

My reading says you can do it, you just can't leave the magazine or any live rounds behind. So do a speed reload, but pick up the mag/moonclip/loose rounds before moving.  Of course that defeats the whole purpose of the speed reload.

Yeah. That's a reload with retention.  That is legal.  

The speed reload is to dump the mag with a round in the chamber (not at slide lock). That's too gamer and therefore illegal.  

Because in real world, you'd want to go to a new position with empty mag but one in the chamber, start to engage multiple targets, but after one round you gotta reload. So, now the multiple bad guys have been made aware that you're there and since you only fired one round and now are empty, you gotta reload while they're returning fire. 

This is not a sound tactic but IDPA can't allow the speed reload because it'd be too USPSA so they basically go against their own "Fundamental Principles". 

At least that's how I see it. 

In a real life situation I'd want to be dumping/replacing the magazine, while still having a round in the chamber, when moving behind "cover". 

Oh well.  The rules are the rules. 

NEVER understood that rule.
Why would you ever want to have a completely empty gun in a fight?

My suggestion has been 1 point per round left behind.

Dropping an empty mag from a loaded gun will get you killed on the streetz apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The idea is you aren't going to be counting rounds in a gunfight, so you'll either pocket the partially loaded mag with unknown number of rounds left in it, or wait til the gun indicates to you that it is empty.

That's their reasoning at least

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

The idea is you aren't going to be counting rounds in a gunfight, so you'll either pocket the partially loaded mag with unknown number of rounds left in it, or wait til the gun indicates to you that it is empty.

That's their reasoning at least

I agree.  

There is some logic to it. 

Most folks aren't going to carry 5 mags of ammo.  Or two extras for that matter. 

19 hours ago, davsco said:

oh they're allowed, they just come with a few extra seconds added to them...

jeez guys, get some time in idpa with your actual carry guns we don't use in uspsa because they're not competitive, and it's idpa so who cares how you place...

I use the same gun in IDPA and USPSA. 

I can't use my actual carry rig in IDPA, because they are scared of appendix carry, and while my magazine holders (that I actually USE on a daily basis) used to be legal in IDPA, they aren't anymore because instead of mag pouch legality being based on retention, they are based on how much of the magazine gets covered.

So since I had to buy a new holster, new mag pouches, and a different kind of cover garment just to compete in IDPA, I figured I might as well use my normal competition gun.

And having to pocket a magazine that has no rounds in it is STUPID.