Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I re-time my timing?

BoyGlock

Shooting 2011 Open. I draw and shoot a 3" target from 10y. My ave. Repeatable time is 1.6-1.7 sec. with acceptable sight picture but my hits are mostly near and around the target. about 30% inside. My take is my error is in triggering the shots. So I focused on being careful with my trigger release so my hit % would go up. Time went up to 1.8-2.0 sec, but my hits got worse and I could see the dot dip everytime before the shot so my hits were all on 6-7oclock about 2" from poa. Its clear to me that my years of shooting have me develop certain speeds and timing on recoil on different types of target that shooting a bit slower make my hits low as if Im flinching. Spent 300 rounds in two range sessions trying to unlearn this but failed. In between these sessions I dryfired a lot but to no avail. I'll try another approach next range session, maybe a ball n dummy at speed? In slow aimed fire I dont have problem with BnD drill but at speed I havent had any success with it in the past so Im not sure if it will help. Any input and suggestions from the better shots in here?

You might have obsessed yourself into a deep hole on this one. Putting the timer away for a bit will help also.

Try some other drills; still shoot tough shots but get away from your current drill.

Ball/dummy can show you a flinch, or it can show you a PIP aka Pre Ignition Push. Flinching is not good but a PIP is common.

Shoot some groups at 10 or 20 yds for a bit.

• 2 months later...

I've never understood timing outside of a moving target scenario. Like a swinger and I'm going to time the swinger and ambush it at the bottom of its stroke or I'm going to pace it, either way I'm gonna be timing it. 

Serious, why not just see what there is to see and fire when that is acceptable?

I'd do bill drills with the goal of seeing every shot.  Then I'd work my grip and trigger pull during the bill drill, and anything else deficient, until my group size shrunk up. 

Yes I did bill drills and saw my dot dipping every shot. But when done in my "usual" pace it doesnt. Wht Im trying to do now is to do it at different paces until I shoot instinctively based just on the sight pic. Hopefully this cures my dilemma. 

Yep, there should be no "timing".  There is only reacting (maybe with some anticipation) to the sight picture.  Shooting on timing works just enough to lull you into thinking it's a feasible method, but in the end it will bite you.