Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Subconscious said, "Pick it up." Brain was too slow telling it, "No!"

AlphaCharis

So... I was shooting a classifier and I was kinda excited about it because I had just shot the entire steel stage right before it nearly one-for-one and I had dryfired for the four days leading up to the match, so was feeling pretty confident.  CM 09-04 Pucker Factor.  Back target at 17 yards and the other three getting progressively closer and smaller, with the closest being a target showing only the head box.  8 rounds, Virginia Count.  *beep* Starting with the 17 yard open target:  alpha alpha... alpha alpha... alpha alpha.... alpha ____? ...shoot what was the hit? *pickup shot* bravo.

Another bravo.... An extra bravo.  An extra shot... on a Virginia Count classifier.

Penalties took my first "A class" classifier down to a 38%.  *sigh*  I definitely laughed at myself and kicked myself for that. 

Pay attention!  Call every shot.  And program your brain for Virginia Count.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1133085993481257&id=560357470754115

1 hour ago, JHOWARD said:

Now I have to figure out what Virginia count is.

Fortunately, I was born in Richmond.     :)

Virginia count means that you can fire No More than the required and stated number of shot in the COF,

e.g. an 8-round Virginia count, you can fire a total of eight (8) shots - no more.    

1 hour ago, bsand said:

This is why I download magazines for Virginia count!

I never download mags for Virginia Count - in case I have a FTF, I can still rack the slide and

load an extra round.

I just keep track of how many shots I've fired, and remember NOT to fire twice at the same target :) 

It easy for me to start pressing the trigger and transitioning to the next shot.  This "racing to the finish line mentality" is the reason I over look fundamentals like sight lift and follow-through.  These do not take any longer to accomplish, because my eyes and sights are there anyway. S

So, I'm constantly reminded that, it is best to direct my attention to shooting the present shot, rather that the fact that OMG (gasp), it's a Classifier!!!  :o

Try to focus on shooting the classifier as just another stage in the match. This was difficult for me as I used to be so focused on moving up in classification. I was in the mindset of shooting a good classifier meant I shot a good match. For me, putting so much thought into shooting a certain percentage needed on a classifier only made my classifier scores worse. And tanking classifiers will ruin your overall match, trust me. Once I began shooting them as just another stage my classifier and overall match percentages increased dramatically. 

On 1/11/2017 at 7:04 PM, Sam said:

......which means that I must have been placing my attention on the outcome, rather than the shooting.  :lol:

You listen to Anderson's podcast?  He reminds his listeners of this :)  He has a lot of good stuff I like to remind myself of

On 1/12/2017 at 5:07 AM, taxil343 said:

Try to focus on shooting the classifier as just another stage in the match. This was difficult for me as I used to be so focused on moving up in classification. I was in the mindset of shooting a good classifier meant I shot a good match. For me, putting so much thought into shooting a certain percentage needed on a classifier only made my classifier scores worse. And tanking classifiers will ruin your overall match, trust me. Once I began shooting them as just another stage my classifier and overall match percentages increased dramatically. 

Ya, when we were walking to this stage I was like, "Don't worry guys - the next stage only looks like a classifier, but it's only a standards stage!  It's just another stage...."  I  have a friend that is so close to GM and sometimes just goes hero or zero just because it's a classifier.  I'm trying to not think of them differently than other stages.   I actually am not worried about classing up.... I mean - I want to - but I know when I'm ready my classifier scores will reflect that naturally.  Mental game has a lot to do with getting better, too, so eventually I won't screw up as much on classifiers. 

Don't you have to load to division capacity unless the instructions specifically tell you to download? Taking the RO class soon.

Pretty sure it's OK to download, considering your putting your self at a disadvantage. If you upload then your classed open. So I dont think downloading magazines to below division limits is against any rules.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2017 at 1:24 AM, AlphaCharis said:

...  I  have a friend that is so close to GM and sometimes just goes hero or zero just because it's a classifier...

I think a lot of people do that. On a match last week I was third on the classifier stage ( It's Not Brain Surgery) out of 17. Ten people zeroed it. I just decided to aim as fast as I see the sights good enough for a 10 yard head shot rather than try to break a speed record ;) . Ended up shooting it at the middle of my classification percentage range. I figure when I consistently place above my current classification I will move up rather than depending on luck and counting on zeroing a stage when I miss for it not to mess up my classification scores.

On 1/17/2017 at 11:34 PM, Expflier said:

Happens to all of us some time. First time I shot a triple tap stages my buddies were laughing apparently I was saying three three three entire time I was shooting stage. 

Haha!  That reminds me of when I shot a stage that required three rounds per target and I wrote the number "3" at the base of my thumb where I could see it when I was holding my gun... just so I wouldn't forget once the buzzer went off and wiped my memory.

Edited by AlphaCharis

On 1/16/2017 at 5:28 PM, MHicks said:

Bsand. Maybe I'm thinking of an IDPA rule. Our local club is having a USPSA RO class next month that I'll be taking.

Ya, IDPA requires that you load to capacity, unless it specifies a number of rounds to load.  But in USPSA you don't "have" to load up to capacity (and like Bsand said, if you go over, you'll be bumped to Open), but it's a good idea just to load everything the same all the time, and carry the same amount of mags all the time, no matter what the stage calls for.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:11 AM, JHOWARD said:

Got it. Thanks. I asked a friend this morning and he told me the same. Looking forward to my first USPSA. I have quite a few 3 gun matches under my belt, but never heard of that terminology. 

If you do fire more shots it's a penalty per shot fired.  If any of those extra shots happen to land on the target - it's a penalty per extra hit :(  You really can't mess up on VC! lol

On 1/11/2017 at 2:06 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Happens to us all    :wacko:

Pick yourself up, shake yourself off, and ....

Sounds like you have a great attitude about the whole thing - good for you.    :bow:

Good luck getting your "A" rating, soon.    :)

Ya, I was laughing so hard at myself!  Thank you!  I know I'll get my "A" when I'm ready and my shooting is more consistent, but I was sure kicking myself, too!  My match scores haven't quite caught up with my stand and shoot scores anyway. :/  I've been dryfiring everyday for the past few weeks, so starting to get better with the stuff I usually screw up at a match.  I think I may get that "A" in the near future.  After Area 1.... lol