Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one has experience with Sig m400 Predator?

BoyGlock

Planning on acquiring an entry level AR for 3G and keeping it as stock as possible except for a reddot sight and/or scope. Leaning on this model, need the pros n cons for an informed decision. Going to be my first AR. TIA. 

Eta. My choice is very limited in my side of pond. Colts and such are quite hard to find. 

Edited by BoyGlock

I have a Sig m400 carbine.  It's been a reliable rifle, and proven to be accurate.  If you have limited options available for rifles, the Sig should serve you well.  It's just not your typical 3 gun ready model.  

The trigger is likely not acceptable, and you may want a comp more ideally suited to 3 gun, but those are both easy to change. 

11 hours ago, Bryan 45 said:

I have a Sig m400 carbine.  It's been a reliable rifle, and proven to be accurate.  If you have limited options available for rifles, the Sig should serve you well.  It's just not your typical 3 gun ready model.  

The trigger is likely not acceptable, and you may want a comp more ideally suited to 3 gun, but those are both easy to change. 

Thank you. 

Sig specs says the Predator model comes with geisselle 2 stage trigger. It doesnt have any flash hider but already threaded ready for a brake w/c I also would have in Open div. 

Im most concerned with reliability and accuracy. 

Edited by BoyGlock

It would be like any other lower priced AR.  The uppers and lowers may have the Sig name, but they are contracted parts.  The benefit of having the Sig name would be a warranty and to some, the name may help on the re-sale.  It will go bang like any other rifle.

Out of curiosity where is your side of the pond? 

The M400 is decent. They have just updated the model so I don't know the exact new specs. I think before it had an 18" barrel but didn't have rifle gas which is usually on my list. 

Mason Lane has been running a Predator with zero issues. Most of the rest of the former amature segment of Team SIG who was running 3 Gun with a M400 Carbon which is a 16" barrel (carbine gas), 13.5" Lancer carbon fiber handguard, and the same two stage Geissele trigger.  

Most ran it in stock or near stock configuration and everything held up perfectly. They were also fairly accurate with no problem for hitting to 400.They have a couple of other features that are unique and make them stand out such as having a tension pin adjustment between the upper and lower, a built in QD attachment point on each side of the lower, ambi magazine release and safety, and extended bolt catch.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with it but I am a rifle snob so I used the upper and lower along with a bunch of race parts and left all of the factory stuff in a box. Now that I have other rifle sponsors the M400 has be reassembled and if you are looking for a good deal and if it's legal where you are at I have mine listed for $900 (plus shipping if not in VA). I could even toss the 15" Lancer carbon fiber and a brake back on it if that is your preference. I run down a list of the other featuers here: https://www.armslist.com/posts/6287031/nova-rifles-for-sale--sig-sauer-m400-carbon

Bottom line: I think the SIG rifles are solid duty rifles that seem to have good components, are accurate, and hold up well. 

• 1 month later...

Update. 

Shot over a hundred factory 223 rounds in my Sig m400 Predator. So far met my minimum requirements: reliable and accurate. Added bonus, clean light trigger at 3# range. All out of the box. Extremely pleased. Put Aimpoint micro and Supercomp brake. Thats all and I can focus on learning 3gun shooting skills. 

Edited by BoyGlock