Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet bulge in casing...

IGOTGLOCKED

2 minutes ago, superdude said:

If the bullet is not aligned perfectly straight when you start to seat it, it will often end up crooked when seated.

It seems rarely but some times they just don't stand up straight. Is there a solution?

Thx!

3 minutes ago, superdude said:

For handgun cartriges, some dies are specially designed to reduce the chance of this happening. Lyman M die; and Hornady and Redding make dies that align both the bullet and the case during seating. 

Thx, Sarge recommended the Redding Pro for the ability of finer tuning. Would this one help for this alignment of the bullet and casing too?

I think the Competition seating die, which aligns the bullet, is part of the Pro series. The micrometer adjustment is for fine tuning the OAL, which itself is independent from alignment.  Beyond this, I would ask Redding.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&Itemid=15&id=12%3Acompetition-bullet-seating-die-for-handgun-a-straight-wall-rifle-cartridges

I never have crooked bullets after seating. I can lay one on a case really wonky and the Redding always straightens it out. 

How much bell are you putting on the brass. Too much bell will cause these problems. I describe proper bell as just barely noticeable when you look at it. Just enough to sit a bullet and have it stay, not sitting way down in the case.

33 minutes ago, rooster said:

I sure hope so, as I just ordered it. I have the competition micro adjust Redding die but my oal is  as much as +,- .005 variation so based on Sarge's recommendations I am trying the pro die.

Please let me know if this solves you problem! 

And if it does.where you bought it.

Thx!

The Pro die comes in tomorrow, when I load again I'll post results.  Yesterday I put back in my old Dillon seat die and started measuring some PD jhp and some Acme 147 TC both were set to be at an oal  of 1.135.  I had quite a few that were 1.131 and as long as 1.142, so I set up the Dillon die for 1.135 and started making all the rounds that were +.003 and over got reseated.  Now I'm settling for a +or- .002 variation.

On 1/10/2017 at 5:38 PM, Sarge said:

I never have crooked bullets after seating. I can lay one on a case really wonky and the Redding always straightens it out. 

How much bell are you putting on the brass. Too much bell will cause these problems. I describe proper bell as just barely noticeable when you look at it. Just enough to sit a bullet and have it stay, not sitting way down in the case.

I never have one either and I use  a Dillon seating die. I have to believe it is too much bell. My rule is 0.010 maximum bell. Less works too. There is an advantage to using a MBF. It sits the bullet nearly straight up every time. (with minimal bell) Not sure what would happen with 0.020+ bell.

1 hour ago, rooster said:

The Pro die comes in tomorrow, when I load again I'll post results.  Yesterday I put back in my old Dillon seat die and started measuring some PD jhp and some Acme 147 TC both were set to be at an oal  of 1.135.  I had quite a few that were 1.131 and as long as 1.142, so I set up the Dillon die for 1.135 and started making all the rounds that were +.003 and over got reseated.  Now I'm settling for a +or- .002 variation.

That much variation is not a problem. With sorted brass head stamps I get +/ - 0.005. With unsorted brass it is close to twice that.You probably can't measure any better than 0.002 because the pressure you put on the calipers can cause that much variation. 

If you are using a Dillon seating die, make sure you have the insert set properly.  If you take the clip off and take the inner part out, one side is for flat tipped bullets and the other side is for round nose.  That said, setting it properly did not fix my problems (with Bayous at least).

After some forum searching, I got the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel on someone's recommendation and it seems to have fixed my issues with bullets occasionally not seating straight.

Thanks, I know about the 2 choices with the Dillon.  I use a mitutoyo digital caliper and as soon as I kiss the bullet that's the reading I use.  I think .005 variation is not to be expected with an 80.00 Redding die.  Plus the variation is on both sides of .005 +,-...  that's .010. I don't remember getting that with the Dillon.  I bought the Redding for the convenience of being to dial in any time I change oal.

The Mister Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel is the ticket to solving this problem on Dillon presses.  Adjust downward until you get the very slightest bell on the case.  The two-step expansion lets you (or the feeder) place the bullet into the case, and it is always aligned vertically.  This is super important for accurate lead bullseye loads.

The Hornady PXF does exactly the same job, except you set the bell diameter to the specified size to work the bullet feeder die.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:24 AM, zzt said:

The Mister Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel is the ticket to solving this problem on Dillon presses.  Adjust downward until you get the very slightest bell on the case.  The two-step expansion lets you (or the feeder) place the bullet into the case, and it is always aligned vertically.  This is super important for accurate lead bullseye loads.

The Hornady PXF does exactly the same job, except you set the bell diameter to the specified size to work the bullet feeder die.

Thx zzt!

On 1/22/2017 at 9:24 AM, zzt said:

Can you use the The Mister Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel in the Dillon powder measure?  Or do you have to buy the bullet feeder?  For $26.00 I would try it but I don't want to buy the feeder.