Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sticking 9mm Lee Powder thru exp. die

gerritm

I am loading some 9mm on a Lee turret press with all Lee dies. When I get to the powder die some of the cases stick or are very hard to release on the up stroke. Most do not stick. None of the other dies stick just this one. Cases are not damaged and all make the gauge with no problem. I am not using any lube, would that help? I have checked headstamps and no real pattern.

gerritm

I've noticed this same thing. Same setup as me as well. 2 things helped me:

#1 Lube is magical. Smoothes everything out. 

#2 Be smooth but forceful on the powder die up stroke. Any hesitation seemed to make it more difficult.

Also you might try cleaning your die if you haven't in a bit. I've noticed it can build up a bit of junk and it won't run quite as smooth.

Are you using a u-die or just the standard size die?

Edited by js1130146

U-die. Wondering if it has to do with the different wall thickness of some of the cases. Maybe thicker/heavier? I have not cleaned it lately, good idea. 85% of the cases go in & out smoothly. I will try some lube.

gerritm

I use the same setup, minus the u die  (I use the regular Lee sizing die), and while the occasional case...like 1 every 500 or so, is a bit harder to pull down from the powder die, I've never had one really stick, and I don't lube cases.

The u die might be the issue, but I'm thinking you might have the powder die die set too low, and you are really running the case up much farther than it needs to. I set mine using the Lee instructions...no sticks, and just enough flare for either plated or coated. I'd say start there. 

TobyJ

Edited by TobyJ

Took it apart, cleaned and polished all surfaces. Set the depth per Lee instructions. Seating 147gr Blue Bullets. Used some 1-shot lube. Much better. Did have a couple that stuck more than the rest. Not as bad as before. Headstamp was marked R-P. Guessing Remington?

gerritm

I can't find it now, but, somewhere Lee mentions the sticking in the pass thru expander.  He claims the sticking causes a jolt that shakes the powder to prevent some sticking to the die.  I never liked the feel of it but at least I knew it was a known event. 

I found it: "the expander plug travels approximately 3/8" withing the die and comes to an abrupt stop at extraction.  This helps to shake the powder through. "  

Edited by Wheeljack