Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using a SHOTMAXX-2 Timer?

XD Niner

I (foolishly) drunk the KoolAid on the old model. It never fully worked and eventually failed entirely even though I never really used it. I gave away to someone who hoped to fix it. Have no idea what happened. 

I would NEVER buy one of these things. It was just awful. Compare that to my Pocket Pro II which is 5 years old, used daily, and has never had a burp. $50 cheaper too

On 1/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, Brooke said:

I (foolishly) drunk the KoolAid on the old model. It never fully worked and eventually failed entirely even though I never really used it. I gave away to someone who hoped to fix it. Have no idea what happened. 

I would NEVER buy one of these things. It was just awful. Compare that to my Pocket Pro II which is 5 years old, used daily, and has never had a burp. $50 cheaper too

You gave it to me. I was/am very thankful. I got it working and then got rid of it, the quality was very poor and I knew it would be broken again soon. 

I too had a SHOTMAXX V1 but unlike many others had no problems with it.  It worked quite well for me,

My primary disappointment was that it did not retain more than one string.  That's the reason I'm considering a SHOTMAXX 2.

I know that many folks had major reliability and durability issues with the original version. I'm hoping that someone with SHOTMAXX 2 experience can chime in here.

Edited by XD Niner

I have had the version 1 for over a year now and am on a range 6 days a week as an CRSO and instructor and use it every single day. I wear it all the time as my regular watch and I have the rubber cover on it. Have had zero problems although my wrist strap clasp just broke but that is an easy fix. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Might pick up the next version also as it would be nice to collect multiple strings. Great training tool.

I have one. It's hasn't seen a great deal of use, but it works well. I see these timers in most of the matches I attend, and know several people who also own them. Other that the responses to this post, I am not aware of issues with them. It certainly feels solid enough for me and unless it's being dropped a lot or shot, it should last a long time. The display is large and easy to see (I have old eyes) and it's simple to use. I recommend it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any hands-on reviews of the new 2.0 model?

Thinking of grabbing one as I need a timer anyway, and since my most frequent range is the local indoor range, having the accelerometer is my only viable option for doing meaningful speed training.

On January 30, 2017 at 11:24 AM, ClangClang said:

Any hands-on reviews of the new 2.0 model?

Thinking of grabbing one as I need a timer anyway, and since my most frequent range is the local indoor range, having the accelerometer is my only viable option for doing meaningful speed training.

As I am on an indoor range every day I use my timer in the accelerometer mode all the time except when I am doing one hand drills. Works great. A really really great feature. 

I had a pretty bad experience with the first version.  I just received the version two.  I am still trying to find the firmware update files on their website....once I find that I will let you know how its working.

Currently out of the box I charged it for several hours until it said full charge on the screen.  But the battery % screen shows 50%.  Hopefully its just a firmware issue and not a continued problem with the battery like the older model.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I took a leap of faith and ordered the SHOTMAXX-2 with with the white face from DAA/CED as a birthday present to me. They had sent a $5 off coupon to me for my birthday which helped tip me off the fence. It came with a free silicone skin and screen protector as a promotion.  Its still on as I write this.  It comes with a one-year warranty and I opted to pass on the extended two-year warranty which would have added another $25. 

It arrived today (standard USPS 2 day priority delivery) and I've charged it up. It only took about an hour to get to 100% charge even though they recommend 3-4 hours before the first use.  I'll charge it overnight just to make sure.  Crash, the instructions note that the little charge icon only shows half-full while charging.  If you put it into the watch mode and hit the Set button 7 times, it shows the actual charge level in percent.  It was even set to the correct time and date already.  How did they know I live in the Eastern Time Zone?  Big Brother must be watching. 

I had no problem locating and downloading the firmware updating software from the DAA site (make sure you grab the V2 version, not the one for the original) as well as the latest firmware update.  The procedure is identical to that used for the SHOTMAXX-1.

I'll give it its maiden voyage tomorrow morning while practicing at the range.  After reading the instruction manual, it operates largely the same as the V1 timer.  The new features are a larger battery, three beep tones, adjustable beep volume and the string review. 

The adjustable beep tone and volume are very nice additions.  WARNING:  Based on my single experience if you set the beep tone to 3 (highest pitch tone), the volume to 7 (loudest) and then test it in your family room you will spend a good ten minutes trying to coax your dog out from under the bed.  I never expected to see our 13-year old Jack Russel Terrorist jump that high again.  I'll try the various tones tomorrow with my electronic ear muffs on. I strongly suspect that with the louder volume it will be very usable when I RO a shooter at matches.

I'm particularly excited by the string review feature because I use that consistently during practice. It has also saved us from a couple of re-shoots at matches.  The lack of this feature on the V1 was a deal-killer for me. I also plan to play with the spy mode in the morning. 

It no longer has a Bluetooth connection but that was a major disappointment anyway so I don't consider it a loss.

I'll post an update after I use this timer a couple of times and let you know my likes and dislikes.

Edited by XD Niner

Had shot max 1, beeper died under warranty, really liked using shot max timer specially when shooting alone great tool, anyway Double Alpha was were very good about replacing my SM1 with a Shot max 2, very loud beep if needed and works like a charm, Thanks again Double Alpha

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have the new version 2.  Had a horrible experience with the version 1.  When I got my V2 there was no new firmware for it.  I charged it over night and the battery still registered 50% the next morning.  I thought for F%$# sake this thing is going to be just like the last.  They released new firmware and I upgraded earlier this week.  I have used it for 4 days in dry fire and have no issues so far.  The battery still shows 100% (since the upgrade).  From what I understand it will show 100/75/50/25 so time will tell.  Some people online have commented about the size of the speaker, its a damn shot timer and not a fashion statement.  For dry fire it is very conveniently right on your wrist.  Shooting in doors the motion activated option is pretty cool.  The speaker is loud and has 3 different tones and 10 different volume settings.  So far I am happy but will report back if that changes.  

Edited by CrashDodson

• 2 weeks later...

It's a POS. just got mine today and it already has to go back. Waterproof o ring hanging out the side. Also pretty crappy no wall charger comes with it for the cable. Have to use my cell phone one or buy a kit with it in it and a extra battery. Should get it with the watch. I am very disappointed in this crap because I have a lot of daa stuff and this is BS. 

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Is it bulky enough to bother you? It looks massive which is why I was hesitant to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speaker is quite big, but I don't notice it at all while I'm practising. The timer is very light. It feels like wearing a G-Shock watch.

Edited by selecw
typo

Mine is still working.  After two weeks of par timer use I still have not had to charge it.  I dont find the size to be a problem.  I like the options to change the speaker volume and tone.  The speaker is about half again as big as the first model.  I can take a picture of them side by side.