Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Training Regimen?

JHOWARD

I often find myself doing random stuff, I'd like to get a more dedicated schedule.  Generally I'll spend a few minutes loading shotgun, or drawing and finding my sights, or transitioning with rifle. 

Just looking to see what you guys are doing.

When I was shooting 3 Gun I used Seeklander's dry fire program:  http://blog.shooting-performance.com/how-to-become-a-3-gun-competitor-on-15-minutes-a-day-and-a-shoestring-budget/

Since I'm now USPSA pistol only, dryfire books from Stoeger or Anderson provide my training schedule.  Right now, I'm working out of Anderson's due to the easy to follow layout along with log pages next to each drill.

I list all the skills I need to be good. Schedule them in a week or two cycle, giving more emphasis on those Im not good at and lesser to those Im better at. Stick with this religiously for several months or a year, evaluating my performance and the regimen along the way and adjust as I see fit. 

Without a written regimen its difficult to track and have direction in training. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is comprised manly of drills from Ben's books, with Anderson's Starts and Stops and Seeklander's clock draws added in.  I do 5 days a week 30-40 minutes. As a new shooter at first I felt like I had to practice everything, but I simplified this year and after listening to Shannon Smith's episode on fundamentals have simplified even further.

Every session starts with easy COC and other warm up motions for five minutes or so, then blank wall trigger presses.  Once done with that I use my phone timer to time my drills, all are run between 4-9 minutes.  All 5 days are different routines, but trigger, draws, reloads , and transitions make up pretty much all of it.  all except the Hopkins drill are run in speed mode.  Simplifying and speed mode have resulted in some decent jumps so far.  All sessions are finished with wrist extensions and curls.

I will also change things up as the season approaches and as I evaluate my progress throughout the season.

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2017 at 10:42 AM, SCTaylor said:

When I was shooting 3 Gun I used Seeklander's dry fire program:  http://blog.shooting-performance.com/how-to-become-a-3-gun-competitor-on-15-minutes-a-day-and-a-shoestring-budget/

Since I'm now USPSA pistol only, dryfire books from Stoeger or Anderson provide my training schedule.  Right now, I'm working out of Anderson's due to the easy to follow layout along with log pages next to each drill.

15 minutes a day isn't bad. I just glanced at the article but will read the details later. I also need to practice two eyes open aiming technique.

Edited by toeheadAR