Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did anyone use Glocks for competitions?

Fung

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 34 that is a great production gun and a 24 that is a great limited gun. Glocks are fantastic for competition, even more so since you are new, as they are reliable. A gun that runs 100% will take you a long way in this game. 

Was back in the late 80s, early 90s.  Was then reinstated later on and the power factor lowered to 165 at that time.  Early days of 9 Major and some people were having trouble with establishing loads without problems.

Was back in the late 80s, early 90s.  Was then reinstated later on and the power factor lowered to 165 at that time.  Early days of 9 Major and some people were having trouble with establishing loads without problems.

After 9mm was outlawed I got an early STI, initially they were sold by Chip McCormick with CMC on the grip.  Those are probably collectors items now as that arrangement didn't last too long.  That was in .38 Super and was a really good gun.  Only problem with it was that they were behind on magazines and you got one with the frame and could not buy any for awhile.  Was fun shooting matches with only one mag, fortunately there weren't too many stages you couldn't get through with one mag.

I heard that Nils guy won a match or two with a Taran built Glock. :-)
Lots of top tier shooters use them, lots of shooters don't. I love them, and I own many guns but will never compete with anything but a Glock. Just too foolproof IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm dating myself but I loved my Glock 17L years ago.  I shot Major 9 and won a  lot of matches.  The gun simply  did not have any malfunctions after about 65000 rounds.

I've bought a few more Glocks over the years until I gave up shooting Autos for Revolvers.

Glocks shoot just fine for competition or any other use.  A lot of people shoot other guns for various reasons, but that doesn't mean the Glock is any less capable.  It's the Indian, not the arrow.  If you're new to competition, my advice is to shoot what you have for now and then decide what you want as your skills improve.  Happy shooting!

i  currently  have  4  limited  glocks (re worked  zev ultimate triggers  and  brass  added  everywhere possible, except  the SJC frame  weight loll)   which i  worked  a  lot to  mitigate the  muzzle  lift   so it  act a  little  like  a  2011.....still, the  trigger  and  balance  of  those  guns  will never  feel  like  some  SV's  i  tried, nor  the  grip  angle  and  the  grip height......so  i'm contemplating the  idea  of  finally  swapping plateform in favor  of  either  an SV  or  a  worked up  sti.....not that the  glocks  i've  built  are  limited  in performance (pretty sure  any M or GM  could  win races  with any of  my guns)  but  i  NOW  believes  a  heavy  and  more  balanced 2011  would  makes  my life  easier.

Edited by sigsauerfan

23 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

i  currently  have  4  limited  glocks (re worked  zev ultimate triggers  and  brass  added  everywhere possible, except  the SJC frame  weight loll)   which i  worked  a  lot to  mitigate the  muzzle  lift   so it  act a  little  like  a  2011.....still, the  trigger  and  balance  of  those  guns  will never  feel  like  some  SV's  i  tried, nor  the  grip  angle  and  the  grip height......so  i'm contemplating the  idea  of  finally  swapping plateform in favor  of  either  an SV  or  a  worked up  sti.....not that the  glocks  i've  built  are  limited  in performance (pretty sure  any M or GM  could  win races  with any of  my guns)  but  i  NOW  believes  a  heavy  and  more  balanced 2011  would  makes  my life  easier.

I shoot B class limited, Revolver and production class.I guess I am not really all that great, and shoot them all about the same. I am real good with any gun I pick up and I have had them all SV,STI, Para's, Kimber polymer. I really like gen4 glock 34 with the large beavertail nice 3.5 trigger. I really like the fact that I can use all my mags in all my weapons.

glock%20stuff%20001_zpsvqvxnc3z.jpg

9 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I shoot B class limited, Revolver and production class.I guess I am not really all that great, and shoot them all about the same. I am real good with any gun I pick up and I have had them all SV,STI, Para's, Kimber polymer. I really like gen4 glock 34 with the large beavertail nice 3.5 trigger. I really like the fact that I can use all my mags in all my weapons.

glock%20stuff%20001_zpsvqvxnc3z.jpg

if  you notice  i've  never  implied  that    my glocks  were  a  limiting factor. what i've  highlighted  is  the known fact  that   whatever  the  mods  you perform  on  your  glocks, the  trigger  and  the  weight distribution-balance  will never  approach the feel  provided  by  a  heavy  tuned  2011.....i  got  my fair  part of  sucess  with my  guns, i'm a  C class  shooter  and  i  don't pratice  at all....i  mean, there  was  a  time  i  was  at the  range  for  practice  1-2  times  a  week, but now  i  just shoot matches, and   what i  meant  is  i   know  my next gun will be  a  well tuned  2011  and  i  know  it'll make  my  life easier  because  i  personnaly  find  they're  easier  to  shoot fast  since  the  felt  recoil  and  muzzle  flip  is  for  me  less  felt, and  a  1.5 lbs  trigger  is  easier  to  slap  without upsetting the  gun.

as  leatham  said  '''  all  the  guys  who  are  at   the top   slams the  trigger,at  some  point  you must  be  able  to   slam the trigger  at  speed  without upsetting the  gun if  you  want to  go  fast  while  getting   A's  '''  and  this  is  something i  don't suceed  at  with my glocks  whatever  they  display  a  2.3lbs  as  trigger  break weight.....all this  being  how  i  feel  about glocks  ,and  mind  you  mine  are   heavily tuned.  i'm far from being the  best shooter  out there, but after trying  many 2011  , i  reached  the  conclusion  that  i'm gonna  shoot   as  accurately  , but  quite  faster  with  less  effort  with a  2011.

Edited by sigsauerfan

I'm not a great shooter, but I shoot mine in Open. They're an excellent gun to start off with and continue to use until the gun is really holding you back, rather than your skill and comfort with running a stage quickly. 

Edited by Xanatos903