Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did anyone use Glocks for competitions?

Fung

I'm not a great shooter, but I shoot mine in Open. They're an excellent gun to start off with and continue to use until the gun is really holding you back, rather than your skill and comfort with running a stage quickly. 

Nicely done! Cool stages too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I'm only C because I bombed 2/4 of my classifiers. I'm still kicking myself over one where I pulled a mike on an 8 shot course of fire. And I would have shot another one two weeks ago, but I got DQ'd. So maybe I'll eventually make my way up. 

Late to the game but as of today I'm running a Glock 19 + FF3 in Carry Optics.  All in cost was just the blue-label Glock, the free FF3 and a couple of extra mags @ $18.75 + tax each.

I have a "thrift-store limited" Glock 22 (Glock 22 + this thumb rest) I can use in Limited Major but it's not really competitive compared to the class.  I love my Glock 21 and it's a natural extension of my hand but unfortunately it doesn't fit in any specific USPSA division other than production.

Stock Glocks can do very well in CO, and highly modified Glocks can do well in Limited. 

I still haven't seen many people shooting CO in my local clubs though, so I don't know if there's a consensus on what guns are best yet. I suspect the P320 will come out on top because of its affordability and great trigger. The RX with the Romeo optic seems like an excellent deal. 

1 hour ago, Xanatos903 said:

Heh, I'm only C because I bombed 2/4 of my classifiers. I'm still kicking myself over one where I pulled a mike on an 8 shot course of fire. And I would have shot another one two weeks ago, but I got DQ'd. So maybe I'll eventually make my way up. 

You know what that's called, right?

sandbags.jpg

It's a running joke with the guys I shoot with, and they won't stop giving me shit for it. They nearly pissed themselves laughing when I got DQ'd because the first thing I said was "Guess I'm going to have to stay C a little while longer." 

Edited by Xanatos903

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think shooters get a false sense of confidence shooting 1911/2011 triggers slow fire with no time pressure, where it's much easier to shoot nice tight groups than stock Glock triggers. When you start to push things to max speed on drills like el pres, bill drills from 7-25 yds, accelerator drill, blake drills, etc I don't think the trigger makes a difference in the amount of A/C/D hits you get. That's why most people don't see an actual bump in match performance when they switch from Glocks to STI's. 

23 hours ago, 9x45 said:

There are very, very few who can make El Prez in under 4 seconds clean without a 1911 platform. I've RO'd plenty of Grand Masters, and only the few can do it with all A's. Not on full size USPSA steel, on paper.

https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-11.pdf

Vogel rocks! He certainly isn't held back by his Glocks... albeit he is the exception and not the rule. 

7 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Well, that's because he is weird. He started with an STI and went to a Glock, that's backwards...

And his guns are surprisingly closer to Stock than most would thing. Proof that a reliable gun and great fundamentals will take you far. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2017 at 9:16 PM, 9x45 said:

Proof that the fundamentals will take you far, he could have run a HiPoint. His guns are not anywhere near stock....

Unless he outright lies in interviews, he runs completely stock internals other than a "-" connector.

I know Sevigny did. I dryfired the gun he won GA State with back in the 2008-10 timeframe.

"Griiiiitttttt-kachink!" with about five or six pounds of effort in his 34.

I think he only won by about 20% over the competing GMs and Ms with their slicked up triggers. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Proof that the fundamentals will take you far, he could have run a HiPoint. His guns are not anywhere near stock....

I took a Vogel class last year, and asked if I could shoot his Glock, he complied and his trigger was rough! Heavy pull, gritty, soft reset... it actually made me sad, knowing he can do what he does with that setup... but hey, you practice with something enough, you're bound to master it, being a Martian probably isn't hurting him either.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:55 AM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

I took a Vogel class last year, and asked if I could shoot his Glock, he complied and his trigger was rough! Heavy pull, gritty, soft reset... it actually made me sad, knowing he can do what he does with that setup... but hey, you practice with something enough, you're bound to master it, being a Martian probably isn't hurting him either.

That is just sooo going to tick off all those competitors from Venus!

I've shot Glocks in Production (and occasionally L10) for years. Cheap, reliable (when I don't tinker too much with weird combinations of the myriad aftermarket parts) and more than accurate enough. 

I doubt that I will ever out shoot what my G34's are capable of (A in Production, edging closer to Master). I honestly feel that most even at Master or GM level can't out shoot a properly tuned Glock, despite what most might think. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...