Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Univ./Unique

Canine582

I've been using Unique for .45 acp (and other handgun cartridges) since I started reloading in 1978 or 79.  Especially when reloading lead bullets.  I've tried AA#5, Red Dot, and Bullseye (bullseye's not bad, I just usually use Unique).

Universal meters better and is cleaner than Unique. I've worked up accurate loads with Universal in 45 Auto but unless it's loaded up to Speer's max I've gotten unburned powder kernels with it. At Hodgdon's max It's pretty bad. Don't have that problem with Universal in mid-range 357 Magnum and 45 Colt. Since I've found WST that is my go to powder for 45 Auto. Universal gets used only in 357 and 45 Colt cases now, where it shines; very accurate and clean burning.

Given a choice between Universal or Unique for 45 Auto I would choose Universal but I would choose a faster powder over either.

I've used Clays in 45 Auto and didn't care for it. It doesn't meter well in my Uniflow. WST, being a ball powder, meters flawlessly and is more accurate to boot.

• 1 month later...

When I tested Unique and Universal for my 45 ACP loads, I found Universal to meter better and Unique to shoot cleaner.  I didn't like either.

I prefer faster powders.  I like WST, Clays and Clay Dot a lot; however, my current go to powders are e3 for bullseye and steel and S1000 for Major.

Universal will only be "cleaner" if you load at the higher end of the load range.  It doesn't burn well at lower pressures, so at the low end of the range, expect to find unburned powder everywhere.  Unless you're looking for maximum impact (i.e. for bowling pin shooting on deep tables), one of the much faster powders will serve you better.