Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS hammer spring rates?

obsessiveshooter

Hi all,

I shoot a TS 40 in Limited, with a load that shoots about 173PF.  I really liked the way the front sight tracks with an 11lb recoil spring, and I'll give a 10lb RS a try in my next practice session.  But I realize, I need to tune the hammer spring as well.  I have no clue what rate to start with.  Any suggestions from people who really run their TS fast? 

I use a 12lb recoil spring and a 20lb hammer spring. I've tried, 10 & 11 lb recoil springs but anything less than a 12 lb and I get chugging feel as the slide returns to battery. I'm not sure what fast has to do with it but I've shot a 1.66 bill drill with this setup and can routinely run .14-.16 splits when I'm in speed mode and this setup never skips a beat.

Just now, obsessiveshooter said:

I assume the hammer spring rate affects how hard the hammer hits the primer. Will a 13# hammer spring work reliably with winchester primers? They are all I use.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

All I use are WSPP. 

13 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I assume the hammer spring rate affects how hard the hammer hits the primer. 

I think that the hammer spring  affects and the backwards movement of the slide, combined with the recoil spring.

I may be off base here but OP was asking about a TS (TS lower) and MRevolutionIX is talking about a CTS (75 Lower). These two pistol have different lowers so different hammer spring will not affect them the same way. It is my understanding that when you reduce the hammer spring weight on a TS things can start to feel mush and less crisp while the CTS can go lower without the same issue.

I was confusing the models, Jay870 was nice enough to clarify the situation below.

Edited by Tok36

3 hours ago, Tok36 said:

I may be off base here but OP was asking about a TS (TS lower) and MRevolutionIX is talking about a CTS (75 Lower). These two pistol have different lowers so different hammer spring will not affect them the same way. It is my understanding that when you reduce the hammer spring weight on a TS things can start to feel mush and less crisp while the CTS can go lower without the same issue.

The "standard" CTS is built off a customized Tactical Sport frame. The CTS LS is the one built on the 75 frame.

2 minutes ago, Jay870 said:

The "standard" CTS is built off a customized Tactical Sport frame. The CTS LS is the one built on the 75 frame.

I see, thank you for the clarification Jay, i though i might have been missing something.

OP here, I bought a 13lb mainspring and it works fine. I can't actually say it feels different, but it still functions.
This past match I had the extractor come off a case and give me a bonus 8 seconds fixing the problem. I thought I was done tuning the gun but now I get to deal with extractors. Finicky single action race pistols! I'd never survive the frustrations of a 2011...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 9:43 PM, MRevolutionIX said:

I had a chance to run some S&B primers this past weekend and they all popped.  I plan on using S&B primers for practice and locals and using WSP primers for majors. 

S&B is all I run in my ts40, 11lb recoil and 15lb trigger.