Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lim Pro- polish and PD Springs ONLY

johnbu

I finally got to the range and did some testing with this set up.  I must say the double action pull is smooth.  I did have 3-4 light strikes out of 5 17 round mags.  Should I shoot it some more and see if it corrects or go back to a heavier hammer spring?  I am using the factory firing pin.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would redo polish of the firing pin channel. Verify the firing pin block is moving out of the way.

Polish the pins and holes in the hammer.

Then remeasure primer depth and plunk/thump/spin/dump test all ammo. Then reshoot. 

Who's primers are you using? What bullet? Oal? Etc.

Wolff 14 or PD?

What else is in the gun? PD firing pin spring factory? a Titan or Delta hammer... or factory? Bolo? Factory firing pin or Henning?

I'm a big advocate for removing the firing pin block until you're done tuning the gun. I shot local matches for more than three months without it. Just to delete it as a possible problem to troubleshoot.

A gun that has a reamed chamber, Titan/Bolo etc and factory of PD firing pin... can generally run *fully* seated Winchester primers on a 12 pound PD spring. Some prefer to run a 13 for insurance.

With a more factory-optioned gun, a PD 14 is probably a good choice.

I suggest you carefully, meticulously check your primer depths first. With these guns... flush is not seated well enough. That's how you load for a 1911 or striker fired gun. With a DA/DS gun that has light springs? Flush is a high primer waiting to go click. If you're chasing a light trigger, bury those Winchesters well below flush.

If you're not chasing a light trigger and want more striking force with less QC needed on your ammo, switch to a heavier hammer spring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

28 minutes ago, dogtired said:

I just bought the parts from PD mentioned by the OP.  Otherwise stock.

The gun i did with those parts has been good with winchester primers.  it has a well fit FPB and a "decent" first pass polish.  Detail was given to pivots, pins and holes to remove drag from the hammer fall.  show yours some shine and it will be fine !

2 hours ago, dogtired said:

I did some more polishing and went out today with a couple of boxes of cheap factory ammo and the problem was worse.  I came home and stuck an Extreme medium in and will give it a go that way.

You may want to view MemphisMechanic's video tutorials. See if there is anything you're missing.

More importantly, check the ammo first. Use the ability of the calipers to measure hole depth at the butt end of the handle to see how deeply these primers are seated.

If they're .005" down or deeper, a PD 14 should set them off. If they're higher than that, you'll need more hammer spring to both fully seat the primer and detonate it.