Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lim Pro- polish and PD Springs ONLY

johnbu

I'm one of the coaches for a scholastic action shooting team for kids in middle school through high school.  one of the kids has saved for 6 months and has a new Limited Pro.

He brought it over for a bit of tweaking, tuning and general twiddling. The gun was  unfired and had only 3 dry fire triggerings. Fresh gun smell!

Just under 12 pounds DA. (Yikes!)

Just at 4 1/2 pounds SA.

tmp_30302-20170105_134214-116215070.jpg

tmp_30302-20170105_134109-1408659129.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave the 5 hour tour of tanfo guts and polishing.

The trigger bar was only polished where it needed to be polished. Same with the hammer, sear, firing pin, fpb, etc. Note the factory black still in place.

Parts that NEED to be mirror bright were. Plunger inside and out, hammer strut hole, plunger hole, fp and fpb hole were shined up bright.

tmp_30302-20170105_145302-119160745.jpg

tmp_30302-20170105_145313-1177290917.jpg

Edited by johnbu

Single action was a nice 2# flat.

This was all done in about 5 hours, explaining all steps, the how and why etc. Also gave instruction on how to shoot better. 

Very pleased with the results.  as his finances allow,  a bolo, titan, cone fit guide rod, grips  are on the menu.

Oh, thanks to Billthemarine as he is sending the young man some parts.

tmp_29587-20170105_173539-310844457.jpg

Edited by johnbu
add pic the correct picture.

http://colfaxsportsmensclub.com/scholastic-pistol-team/

Link to our local public range club that sponsors and hosts the team.

We have 5 state rimfire championships in the past 2 seasons. And went from 7th to 4th at nationals in 2016.

This year we are adding a centerfire squad. My son will shoot a tanfo and Ethan will also shoot the one above. He's pretty excited!

Edited by johnbu
link

John, it's great to see somebody like you taking the time to invest in the next generation of shooters. Though I'm relatively new to shooting myself, I can't wait for the day my own kids are able to participate alongside me, and me alongside them. 

I very much envy the 2lb single action trigger you're able to retrieve achieve after only five hours. My 12lb hammer spring will not go under 2 1/2.

Looks like he is off to a great start.  Parts went into the mailbox today.  Most of what I sent will end up being spare parts for him.  There is a 10# recoil spring that hey may want to use, there is also a Henning Basepad.  

We have one of the top junior shooting teams in the country here in Austin. I think it is great that you are putting work with the next crop of shooters John.  Best of luck to the whole team next season.

Yeah, they have a great program there.  Long track record of fast shooters and lots of success.

Ethan (the young man) is one fine person, hard working and willing to listen. He is .... that close to a shooting breakthrough.  Actually, a lot of the kids are and they will need to as our top 22lr shooters move to centerfire.  He is really excited about how well the gun turned out and sooo happy to get spares from you. And I hear a deal from Joe at PD, too!. Of all the youth sports we've been in, the shooting community is far and away the nicest and most willing to support the kids. Not knocking the other activities, but they just can't match the generosity of people in the competitive shooting world.

And I have to admit, the kids are the SAFEST shooters too.

7 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

John, it's great to see somebody like you taking the time to invest in the next generation of shooters. Though I'm relatively new to shooting myself, I can't wait for the day my own kids are able to participate alongside me, and me alongside them. 

I very much envy the 2lb single action trigger you're able to retrieve achieve after only five hours. My 12lb hammer spring will not go under 2 1/2.

The 2lb single action alludes me as well. My numbers match yours at 5.5/2.5 with a PD 12lb. I'm hoping that some rounds downrange (current round count is 0) and maybe another round of polishing will take some weight off. 

I spent time on the holes of the sear and sear cage. Plus bottom side of the sear and bevel edge of the trigger bar.

Hard to say exactly, I just do a detailed tune up and they seem to come out nice. Oh, and I run them wet.

Have you considered doing a gofundme for the kids?

I bet a few of us might chip in $20 for the kid's guide rod, bolo, etc

Well done, John.

The more I dryfire and shoot mine with a seven pound DA (heavy hammer spring) the more I'm inclined to leave it alone and shoot it as it is. 

I'd take that SA in a heartbeat though. That's going to be a crisp trigger!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I did a bit of an oops.

The SA trigger is 2 # and 13oz.

The CORRECT picture is now there.

The optimized trigger spring alone (no sear, no hammer) is 2# 0oz.  looking at the pictures you can see the condition of the gun. Hammer down, hammer back or hammer MISSING.  should have been a clue! I shouldn't create posts when tired.

My guns run weaker trigger return springs that give lighter "bare trigger" results. (My own creation by changing the temper. It works, but isn't recommended. But it's been working for a couple years. )

tmp_29587-20170105_153921281020665.jpg

Edited by johnbu

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Well done, John.

The more I dryfire and shoot mine with a seven pound DA (heavy hammer spring) the more I'm inclined to leave it alone and shoot it as it is. 

I can agree with this. I'm at 6 and 3 and it really doesn't bother me. And I'm a trigger snob. The trigger pull is smooth and easy and feels much lighter than it is. The only thing that bothers me isn't that I saw areas that needed more attention than I gave it after I started seeing how it all went back together and worked. 

13 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

...Areas that needed more attention than I gave it after I started seeing how it all went back together and worked. 

I agree there - I went back in twice for additional rounds of polishing. To ensure the pull was as smooth as possible, but also trying to lighten things. Why?

I realized that the lighter the trigger got (I got mine down around 5lbs in DA with a PD 13# hammer spring)... the heavier a hammer spring I could run to return the trigger to 6-6.5 pounds and have a gun that really whacks primers reliably.

If you just polish things "good enough" you might be a pound heavier with the light springs, and the trigger won't roll back into the gun like it's on ball bearings. That's what really makes a gun shootable with a 7 pound trigger - the complete lack of gritty and jerky trigger motion.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

you guys won't like hearing this. I swapped my Titan hammer between the two guns and low and behold the better SA action followed. SA dropped to 2.5 lbs on one the other went up from 2 lb 12 oz to 3 lb 2 oz. I should have not swapped the disconnector with the Titan hammer to truly measure one variable but I'm starting to think the level of variances among trigger bow, disconnector, sear and hammer play a role.

At one point using the same PD14 and just swapping sear cage, hammer and disco around I had one gun at 5.5 lb DA and 2 lb 6 oz SA. But the other parts went in the other gun and it felt crappy. I think I prefer two guns at a similar high 6s and 3 lbs than to chase the ultimate trigger. If I was a pro shop with endless inventory of Xtreme parts I believe you can find that extra tuning without having to go below PD14 springs.

Good point. I'd forgotten that I did exactly that between 4 guns to optimize things.

One other "trick" is to use a very high rate hammer spring for several thousand DA and SA triggerings. The extra force gives extra friction which smooths out some surfaces.  it also highlights areas still needing polishing. I've done it with a Wolff 22# hammer spring.   Use that time to help you perfect trigger action too! And going back to a PD14 will make your 6-7# da feel like 4!

I looked at it ...  "knives, explosives, ammunition, firearms, or other weaponry or accessories;"  banned by go fund me.

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Well done, John.

3 hours ago, johnbu said:

Good point. I'd forgotten that I did exactly that between 4 guns to optimize things.

One other "trick" is to use a very high rate hammer spring for several thousand DA and SA triggerings. The extra force gives extra friction which smooths out some surfaces.  it also highlights areas still needing polishing. I've done it with a Wolff 22# hammer spring.   Use that time to help you perfect trigger action too! And going back to a PD14 will make your 6-7# da feel like 4!

I'm not sure about spending that much time behind a heavy trigger, not b/c that plan doesn't sound effective, but I lack the patience for it, considering my already very restricted practice time.  But I'm hoping that after a few thousand rounds, all the parts mate and smooth themselves out even more beyond my own work.  Hence, leaving me w/ a lighter pull.