Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All purpose pistol: Glock 34 MOS

Uomu

Hi!

I have a +25 years experience in firearms, more related with the duty and self defense scenario, but yet some unclear regarding RDS system. However I participated in several local IPSC and IDPA matches (production and standard). Currently I have a Glock 17 generation 4, with Tactical Warren competition sights. The pistol is tuned by myself and I can handle very well. I'm thinking now about buying a Glock 34 MOS. In my area nobody have a RDS mounted on theirs pistol and I can't try one before buy it. So I've read and seen many material about the RDS systems mounted pistol and for short I've found some points of view:

Main advantages for: looking at target and not at sights (super), older eyes (nice), moving targets (nice), low light condition, targets 50 meters away (this is not a usually SD scenario).
The drawbacks are for: harder to conceal than without RDS, the sun in front, rain and dirty on the scope, extra weight mounted on the slide (feed problems, not holding 0), slower than iron sights for the first shot at short distances, can spoil quickly and last but not least: not as easy to call the shoot during recoil time.

In the Competition Open category, shooters use RDS vs iron sights, that is mean RDS is better for open's scenarios, For Open, RDS system is mounted on a dedicated rail to not interfering with the slide pistol's cycling. I want to keep the same pistol for all purposes: CCW, home protection and competition fun shooting. Because I can't conceal a pistol with dedicated rail for RDS and a private milled slide is not permitted here, I'll chose Glock MOS. 

So, I'd like to ask: 1. What about the real benefit of using the same pistol with mounted RDS for self defense and sport shooting too. 2. Are correct my above finding about mounted RDS or you have experimented anything else? 3. Is it really worth the investment for the new Glock 34 MOS?

Thanks!

Edited by Uomu
correcting something

34 mos is a fine option for everything listed.  I'm not sure about carrying a g34 but if you can then go for it. 

As for your lists cons, the dot won't be any harder to conceal.  If you run an RMR, deltapoint or other quality dot then holding zero is not an issue, feeding problems will not exist, first shot from draw should be no different time wise and you can call your shot just as easily. 

Uomo, you are mixing IPSC and USPSA Production gun rules....the Glock 34 is not approved for IPSC but is for USPSA....therefore if you wish to shoot both IPSC and USPSA I suggest you entertain the thought of buying a Glock 17 MOS (approved for both Production divisions, also Carry Optics USPSA and it sounds like a year from now in Production Optics IPSC)

Edited by race1911