Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strike - Rack the Slide or DA?

SlvrDragon50

I got some new ammo, and I'm getting maybe a handful of light strikes because I suspect my hammer spring is too light. So while I realize that I can just increase the hammer spring weight, I am wondering what the procedure is with a light strike. Do you just shoot in DA (production) or are you better off racking the slide for a new round in case the light striked round really is a dud?

When I shot production for a year I was using factory ammo and did not reload 9mm at the time. I had some light strikes with one source and found there was nothing quicker than pulling the trigger a second time ;) but as YE suggests, TRB is a pretty good plan. I developed the quick second pull because I had a ton of that ammo and that was pretty much the only issue I had with that gun (CZ)

Edited by ChuckS

Shoot the double action shot. With my 226 I will rarely get a round not firing, due to light strike or high primer. It almost always goes bang on the DA pull. Quicker than racking slide, and you dont lose that round that could potentially screw up your stage plan

Daniel K

He's reluctant to do that since a heavier spring will increase pull weight on his DA shot.

Suggestion: Up your spring weight and shoot 10+ yard pairs out of the holster every time you practice at the range from now on, first, when cold. And dryfire the hell out of your DA.

They aren't hard to shoot decently - I was working on that tonight. Head box, hammer down, two rounds from low ready or holster at 7-10 yards.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

I agree that a DA second try would be faster. I just don't want to have a different plan for each type of gun I shoot. 

I did not think about that at all as I only have one gun.

I'm definitely working on my DA pull as I only dry fire DA at home, but I'm still struggling pretty hard. I've discovered I am shooting better the less I think about it, but I've got to experiment some more.

On 1/6/2017 at 1:38 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

I'm definitely working on my DA pull as I only dry fire DA at home, but I'm still struggling pretty hard.

This is the place (aside from the huge benefit you see in recoil control) where a hard weak hand grip really shines.

Bear down on the gun with your offhand using twice the pressure of your strong hand. Crush it so hard you hand nearly shakes. This will really help counteract the low/low-left torque you see from pulling the trigger, and keep the gun on target.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Working a penny drill on DA will also help. This will build your muscles in your trigger finger while teaching your brain and finger on how to pull the trigger correctly each time.

place a penny on your front sight and slowly press the trigger to the rear and maintain the penny on the sight all the way through the process. This is a dry fire only exercise. If the penny falls, reset and try again. Do this everyday before dry fire practice to build good muscle memory 

Oh, and always tap the magazine to ensure proper seating, roll the gun so the ejection port is down so the round falls cleanly and does not create a bigger problem and work the action to free the round. Don't cheat yourself and learn bad habits that will be extremely difficult to break later!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on situation.  DA is faster.  The answer is to use good ammo.  I got a bunch of Freedom new manufacture with a coupon, and it has an insanely high failure to ignite, 10%.  2nd, 3rd, and 4th strikes will eventually set them off.  My guns have set off any primer used in reloads and any factory ammo, up until this Freedom stuff.  It is relegated to practice ammo.