Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bulletfeeder Conversion

I just got a MrBF conversion kit for Christmas but haven't installed it or used it yet. I load on a 1050 so I don't make a change to a different caliber until I know I'm going to make a big run of it. So I'm curious to know as well.

I switch mine (mounted on an XL-650) back and forth between .45 ACP and .223. I have dedicated toolheads for each caliber, so there is no re-adjusting of the bullet dropper die. I have made a set of "shim gauges" to set the nose guide for each of the bullet profiles I use, so the change-over of the Mr. Bulletfeeder adds only about a minute to the caliber swap time. I simply change the collator plate and the output spring assembly (rifle uses the small diameter spring, pistol the large diameter one), and reset the nose guide after I have swapped the toolheads, shell plate, primer mechanism, and the casefeeder parts on the XL-650 (all told, less than 10 minutes).

Edited by Steve_53

I also remove the spring from the collator and it stays with the caliber dedicated tool head. I use watermarks on the flipper adjustment so I can move right to the optimal place without any tweaking. The MBF changeover for me is less than 1 min.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:41 PM, outerlimits said:

anyone out there using mr bulletfeeder conversion kits to change from pistol to rifle calibers?  was wondering if it is worth the time and cost vs a dedicated press for rifle caliber?

I switch back and forth from .223, 9mm, and .380 all the time.  I use dedicated tool heads, except for .380.    I doesn't take a great deal of time, even if you are doing a total swap, like between 9mm and 380.   I find that setting up for different bullet nose profiles is sometimes a bit more challenging.  (usually .355 hollow points)

I've also found that the small diameter spring (rifle) works best for the light .355 bullets.

BRC