Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now that 1/2 size targets are legal....

rowdyb

Now that half size targets are legal for level 1 matches do you:

• think this will help ranges with smaller bays or maybe indoor clubs set up more/better/different?
  • anticipate seeing them on moving targets? they have to be open, but doesn't say they can't be moving.
  • feel the potential difficulty of shots just got much higher?
  • think PCC drove this decision?
  • realize you don't have a target stand for half width targets?
  • feel happy that they're cheaper and cost less to ship?
  • think you'll just continue to use them for dry fire and not live fire?

I'm excited and hope to see them soon locally. I wonder if they'll ever make their way into a classifier? I'm picturing a lot of half size targets at 20 yards in some matches....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Thanks ChuckS!! 

I swear .. these will be great to score after about 40 people put 4 rounds each on them. I guess with carbines, 1/2 size targets ... etc ... I don't know ... sometimes things change a little too fast ... you need to sit down ... take a deep breath and break for a while.

I really like the concept. we have 3 small bays where small targets could be a nice addition. we also have a few bigger bays where they may occasionally present a new challenge.

I need to get some ordered.

do I think PCC had anything to do with it? Nope I believe this has been being talked about for longer than PCC has been around. 

as for pasting, they will probably need to be changed more often, so plan for that.

I never gave the shooting up of them a thought. We have some smaller bays in my club that get ignored for uspsa matches and this could change that. Heck target sticks will be like 1/3 of the target hahaha. I'm gonna pull one of my dry fire 1/2 size targets and took at this but oh wait, my stands aren't that wide.

Midway sells them in 100 packs for about 30 bucks.  Been using them for practice for several years. They do get shot out pretty quick, so keeping extras on the stage is a good idea.  Good target, though, and should be a nice addition if used thoughtfully. 

13 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

Midway sells them in 100 packs for about 30 bucks.  Been using them for practice for several years. They do get shot out pretty quick, so keeping extras on the stage is a good idea.  Good target, though, and should be a nice addition if used thoughtfully. 

This is the linked story from our USPSA Downrange spam email of the week: http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/uspsa/target-policy.pdf

It seems to indicate that the targets/2 will come from licensed suppliers. FWIW, I can find no trace of this "policy memo" info on the USPSA website.

I really like the concept. we have 3 small bays where small targets could be a nice addition. we also have a few bigger bays where they may occasionally present a new challenge.

I need to get some ordered.

do I think PCC had anything to do with it? Nope I believe this has been being talked about for longer than PCC has been around. 

as for pasting, they will probably need to be changed more often, so plan for that.

You gonna start setting up the 32 round megahoser with minis now just to mess with us?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just thought of a deliciously evil idea for mounting them in existing stands, on drop turners and swingers.

20170105_180832.jpg

I just affiliated an indoor range with relatively small bays. We've had a couple matches so far and I'm finding the stage design options are pretty limited due to the narrow width of the bays. I think using half sized targets will really help us provide some variety, I'm pumped. I really am not interested in seeing these on traditional outdoor style matches tho...

Btw, when I bust out this target and NS set up I'll make sure to send people your way for complaints! Lol. I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm mostly happy. I would have been fully happy if we would have been allowed to use hardcover on them. Our club shoots winter time indoors, and with 50 foot deep bays full size targets get boring quick, even with hard cover and no shoots liberally placed. Before PCC was a division, we were running a PCC match with 1/2 size targets and using clays for plate racks / reactives. Fun as all get out. Snuck a few 1/2 sizes into the pistol matches and it makes a world of difference on an indoor bay. Our outdoor bays are big enough that I doubt we will use them, except for 3 gun, but indoors they really are an asset to stage design. Now if they would only allow clays for indoor reactives....

8 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

I'm mostly happy. I would have been fully happy if we would have been allowed to use hardcover on them. Our club shoots winter time indoors, and with 50 foot deep bays full size targets get boring quick, even with hard cover and no shoots liberally placed. Before PCC was a division, we were running a PCC match with 1/2 size targets and using clays for plate racks / reactives. Fun as all get out. Snuck a few 1/2 sizes into the pistol matches and it makes a world of difference on an indoor bay. Our outdoor bays are big enough that I doubt we will use them, except for 3 gun, but indoors they really are an asset to stage design. Now if they would only allow clays for indoor reactives....

How are you employing the clays in the indoor match? We have a weekly one that I try to shoot about once a month and any fresh ideas are always welcome when working with only a single "berm".

Use clay hangers to elevate them like plates and place them in various arrays or as a plate rack. You can string a rope between two target stands/sticks and run the hangers off the rope. For fun, take a uspsa target(s) and drill them out with a hole saw so that you can insert clays. Put in 2 to 4 clays per uspsa target, with the no shoot side of the target presenting to the shooter. That is a quick way to find out about sight offset with a PCC. Use different colored clays and have the shooter flip a card over at the start, determining what color of clay they must shoot during the COF. All other colors become no shoots. 

19 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

You gonna start setting up the 32 round megahoser with minis now just to mess with us?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

that is one of many possibilities, I was also thinking we can get out to about 40yds in bay 3, that could be a bit of a chalange

We have been using mini targets in IPSC now for a couple of years and as long as they are used correctly they are fine, bearing in mind an A zone is still an A zone whatever the sized target. The idea I believe was to be able to replicate distance in indoor and smaller ranges for that they work well.