Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 9mm accuracy

72stick

I've had this 2011 chambered in 9mm for about a year. I've tried 147g jacketed, plated and cast bullets. All gave me poor accuracy at 25 yards regardless of the powder I used or the recipe/velocity. My experience with the 2011 in .40 S&W with heavier bullets loaded long at minor & major PF worked great. I figured that would work in 9mm too. I can say now that's not my experience with the 9mm in my 2011. After all my reloading and chrono tests with less than stellar performance I decided to try some el cheep-o WM Winchester 115g at 1150 fps. Jackpot!

For the first time I'm getting 1.5" groups at 25 yards, even in rapid fire. Does anybody have a better 9mm bullet/load/velocity hand load combo that gives them 1.5" accuracy or better at 25 yards in a 9mm 2011?

It could be the twist rate of your bbl.  If you have a lower twist rate, like 1/32, your barrel will probably shoot lighter bullets more accurately.  

With that said, all barrels shoot differently.  Some will be accurate regardless of what you're shooting and some will be very finicky.  The only way to find out is to experiment like you're doing right now.  

I hear what your saying and I've seen that in two of my other guns. One loves anything and the other only likes target ammo. And then there's my other two rifles that work with one comon load. The 1st example is my 22 target rifles the other is my .308 AR10 & .308 R700.

I have two identical 22 target rifles I bought for my wife and me to shoot. Her's shoots any 22LR ammo, subsonic, supersonic, hypersonic, copper wash or lead and it's sub MOA at 50 yards. The other one only likes lead round nose target 22 ammo and you really have to work to get MOA out of it at 50 yards.

My .308s both like 168g HPBT bullets on top of 42 grains of powder to get sub MOA at 100 yards. The brand of rifle powder really doesn't matter as long as it's 42g. Go figure.

That's why I was asking if there's a pet load, common recipe that the BBL 9mm 2011s like.

I see the AMU uses Atlanta Arms Ammo 115g 9mm @ 1150fps in their 9mm 2011s, so I guess that's my answer.

Edited by 72stick

I tried pushing it with the PC 147s and once I hit 1000 ft./s the bullet started tumbling and going to the target sideways.

I gave up on the 147's before I got the jacketed bullets going that fast.  

I'm curious about this too.  I have a KKM barrel in .355.  I get ok accuracy with 145g bullets but I think my 2011 in 40 is more accurate.  The NM 9mm KKM barrels are known for their 1-32 twist accuracy using 115g bullets.  I'll have to check the twist on mine but it seems the standard twist is 1-16 or 1-18 from their website.  I read heavier grain bullets are not as accurate and hence loading lighter grain bullets is better for accuracy.  I'll try loading lighter bullets to see if this changes anything.

2 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

it is, I was just referencing the load recipe that it ran outstandingly in my prior gun for a starting load point. 

ScottieShootz: I noticed all 3 of my semi-custom bushing barrel 1911s in .45 ACP are more accurate with the heavy bullets. My 2011 in .40 S&W does pretty good, but I don't think I have unlocked the full potential in the 9mm. 

2 hours ago, vtecpaoche said:

I'm curious about this too.  I have a KKM barrel in .355.  I get ok accuracy with 145g bullets but I think my 2011 in 40 is more accurate.  The NM 9mm KKM barrels are known for their 1-32 twist accuracy using 115g bullets.  I'll have to check the twist on mine but it seems the standard twist is 1-16 or 1-18 from their website.  I read heavier grain bullets are not as accurate and hence loading lighter grain bullets is better for accuracy.  I'll try loading lighter bullets to see if this changes anything.

I've got a KKM .355 barrel in build process right now but will be running 38super with 124g bullets.  We shall see how the accuracy does on those, but I expect them to shoot just fine. 

Both my Minor and Major loads shoot under 2" at 50 yards in several 1911/2011's, and under 1" in a couple. Try 115 Zero JHP's or Hornady HAP's (nearly identical) with 3.8-4.2gr of Titegroup, loaded at 1.15".  Get 'em going about 1100fps. Size the brass with a U-die if using mixed brass for consistent bullet holding and chambering, and crimp slightly at .374-375" at the case mouth without deforming bullet bearing surface. I prefer Winchester and Federal primers for consistent ignition.  A great low-cost alterative is Acme's coated grooveless 122TC, it shoots phenomenally and is cheap at $31-35 per 500.

For a Major load, use same specs, but substitute a 124gr Zero/HAP and load using AA #7 at 8+ grains (work up), this is actually a book Major load at 168ish PF and it shoots incredibly from several of my guns.

As everyone else has said, what works for you will be what works for you.  Every gun is different, and you just have to experiment with different loads to see what your gun likes.

I have a STI DVC 9mm, and I use 147 gr. Montana Gold bullets with Vihtavuori N320 powder loaded out to 1.200.  OTOH, my Glock 34 seems to like 124 gr. bullets.  Go figure.

I run a 9mm Dan Wesson PM9 1911 for single stack and completely love it.  147 Blue Bullet RN with 2.8 VV310, 1.165 OAL, Fed SPP, gives crazy accuracy.  I consistently get 1.5" groups at 20m.  The gun loves this load - its super flat and soft.  Gun is modified for the allowances of USPSA SS but has the OEM barrel and bushing.

For reference, when I first started experimenting with 1911 in 9mm, I had a hand me down Rock Island Armory 5" 9mm.  It ran even softer but thats because it was super loose.  It shot 5" groups at 20m until I fitted an EGW bushing to it - that took it down to 2" groups.

I have had success with 147 Xtreme and Rocky Mountain Plated.  The RMR are better if you ask me - both take a little more powder to get the same accuracy.

The most accurate bullets I have run are 124 Precision Deltas but you have to load them a little hot and they are snappier than the 147s.  These are just a hair more accurate than the 147 Blues.

7 hours ago, rpm8300 said:

I run a 9mm Dan Wesson PM9 1911 for single stack and completely love it.  147 Blue Bullet RN with 2.8 VV310, 1.165 OAL, Fed SPP, gives crazy accuracy.  I consistently get 1.5" groups at 20m.  The gun loves this load - its super flat and soft.  Gun is modified for the allowances of USPSA SS but has the OEM barrel and bushing.

For reference, when I first started experimenting with 1911 in 9mm, I had a hand me down Rock Island Armory 5" 9mm.  It ran even softer but thats because it was super loose.  It shot 5" groups at 20m until I fitted an EGW bushing to it - that took it down to 2" groups.

I have had success with 147 Xtreme and Rocky Mountain Plated.  The RMR are better if you ask me - both take a little more powder to get the same accuracy.

The most accurate bullets I have run are 124 Precision Deltas but you have to load them a little hot and they are snappier than the 147s.  These are just a hair more accurate than the 147 Blues.

I have a Dan Wesson Valor in .45 ACP. I love that pistol and shoots really nice groups with 230g factory ammo. I wish I had one in 9mm.