Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylorfreelance colt mag extension

Taylorfreelance has come through for us colt shooters

http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=29&zenid=1v96iu3q0rdsq0ujk8rajub3r4

got 2 in, first off they are nice, they fit perfectly on my Brownells mags

i haven't had a chance to use them yet, but my first impressions are, the stock spring tension seems ok, and it locks the bolt back

with the base plate on it holds 41, with it off it holds 42, but it's easier to reassemble with the baseplate on

I got mine in last night.  Turns out I only ordered four, no big deal. 

You have to remove the plate from the bottom of the spring to fit in the whole ten extra rounds.  Of the PSA 32 rd mags I tried, one would hang up at 35 rounds, so I was unable to use an extension on that one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I ran the base pads today and they all worked perfectly with 41 rounds plus 1 in the pipe. I tried reloads with 41 and 40 rounds and they both worked well. The Colt mag lowers take a little extra push to get mags seated but with the base pads there was no extra effort needed. Now I just need to mark the base pads with numbers and they will be ready to go. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Here is a comparison of the Taylor Freelance +10 base pads on the 32 round and 20 round Metalform magazines. I hope Robin makes some of these in half length and nice electric blue color for the 20 round and 10 round magazines either as a + 5/6 or just flat adding no rounds for the special state guys. I forgot to add that I added the dimples in the base pads to keep track of the mags. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer,

You said the base pads fit your Metalform mags well.  I have them on two PSA mags, supposedly built by Metalform, but had to file down the rear metallic tab and the front corners of the magazines to get them to fit.  You didn't have to do any work on your mags to get them to fit on the basepads?

19 minutes ago, SpcStn said:

Aircooled6racer,

You said the base pads fit your Metalform mags well.  I have them on two PSA mags, supposedly built by Metalform, but had to file down the rear metallic tab and the front corners of the magazines to get them to fit.  You didn't have to do any work on your mags to get them to fit on the basepads?

Hello: Mine just slide right on. They are a tight fit but fit very well. I tried them on my 20 and 32 round mags. The 32's are PSA but the 20's are Metalforms. Both are made by Metalform, at least mine are. I did remove the spring locking plate off the spring but that was it. Thanks, Eric

54 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Mine just slide right on. They are a tight fit but fit very well. I tried them on my 20 and 32 round mags. The 32's are PSA but the 20's are Metalforms. Both are made by Metalform, at least mine are. I did remove the spring locking plate off the spring but that was it. Thanks, Eric

Thank you, sir!

3 hours ago, SpcStn said:

Aircooled6racer,

I drove mine on with a plastic tipped hammer.  Once I did this, they came off and reinstalled fairly easily with a much lighter tap from the hammer.

On 1/21/2017 at 3:12 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The base pads came today and fit very well. They hold 41 rounds. I will test them tomorrow to see how they work out. My plan is to load them to 36-40 rounds which is plenty for USPSA pistol stages I think. Thanks, Eric

Did you remove the metal plate from the spring?  Once I did this, they held 42 rounds.

2 minutes ago, Dannybot said:

Did you remove the metal plate from the spring?  Once I did this, they held 42 rounds.

Hello: Yes, I did remove the base plate from the spring. I figure I will down load it a couple of rounds to make the reloads easier if needed. Monster steel match I will load it all the way up. My plan is to reload to the 20 round mags if required to. I have TTI Glock +4/5 on those. One thing I did not say is that they still lock the bolt back with the Taylor Freelance base pads installed with the stock springs. Right now I am just waiting to see what else is coming out for these Colt SMG type mags. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Just a note when you install these on the 20 round Metalform mags the magazine will no longer lock the bolt back. Adding a 1" spacer in the bottom of the base pad will reactivate the bolt catch but will limit the rounds you can load in the mag. On the 32 round mags the bolt will lock back when empty. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I used the Taylor Freelance base pads today in a match. They worked great! I loaded up one of my 20 rounds mags with the TTI Glock 3/4 base pad and the mag blew the base pad off. I need a better fitting +4/5 base pad for the Colt SMG mags. Mr. Taylor please make some---please. My bleeding hand will feel so much better if you do. Thanks, Eric

I squeezed the TTI +3/4 base pads in a padded vice so the top lip engagement is reduced about .020"-ish.  Slides on easily and has plenty of engagement with the metalform base plate lips. It was kind of sketchy before squeezing.  I get a nice 35 round mag with these.  

Edited by Bamboo
18 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

I squeezed the TTI +3/4 base pads in a padded vice so the top lip engagement is reduced about .020"-ish.  Slides on easily and has plenty of engagement with the metalform base plate lips. It was kind of sketchy before squeezing.  I get a nice 35 round mag with these.  

Hello: I may push the bottom of the mag out so it is tighter in the base pad or just wait till someone makes a +zero or +4/5 base pad for the 20 and 10 round mags. I suggested this to Mr. Taylor. I think for a 10 round guys a +zero on a 10 round mag would be great for reloads and be legal as well in those states. Thanks, Eric