Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tested!! Hammer springs & PF Firing Pin Pencil Test

HAMMER ... SPRING ... DEATH ... MATCH

Version 2.0

If you want to see the trigger pull weights for each of these springs without any changes to the gun? CLICK HERE

Test procedure:
The gun was held vertically against the side of the table top and fired. Height was observed from my iPhone mounted in a small tripod, and the video paused to see how high the eraser of the pencil was at the peak of it's flight. I played the video back and paused it and recorded the measurement. I also did all of these tests with the firing pin block removed so that it's fitting wouldn't be a factor.

Example: A 19" measurement of the 14 pound Patriot Defense hammer spring and their Optimized firing pin:

Now you know how much a #2 pencil weighs. They were all 80-85 grains, and I used the four closest matching ones for these tests.

First I tested the 14 pound PD spring because it was already in the gun. With and without the extended / heavier PD firing pin:

1. 14 pound PD with factory firing pin:
Pencil Heights: 16" ... 15.5" ... 15" (Average 15.5")

2. 14 pound PD with PD "Optimized" firing pin:
Pencil Heights: 19.5" ... 18.5" ... 19.0" (Average 19")

So in my gun, on this day, the P.D. unscientifically hits roughly 23% harder than the factory one. That's definitely good news!

3. 13 pound PD with PD "Optimized" firing pin:
Pencil Heights: 19.0" ... 18.5" ... 20.0" (Average 19.1666")

4. 14 pound WOLFF with PD "Optimized" firing pin:
Pencil Heights: 20.0" ... 21.0" ... 20.5" ... 21" ... 20.5" (Average 20.6")

5. EGD Medium with PD "Optimized" firing pin:
Pencil Heights: 25" ... 26" ... 26" (Average 25.666")

A note on consistency: I consider a tolerance of +/- 0.5" to be the margin of error for each launch as far as measuring it next to a carpenter's level on video. I'd consider an average of 18.5 and one of 19" to be practically identical. Firing with the gun tilted just a bit off off vertical would lower the launching height considerably due to the pencil dragging in the barrel. I was able to lower the 19" launches of the PD 14 a full two inches by tilting the gun less than 5 degrees away from vertical. This is anything but scientific. Your mileage may vary. Professional driver on a closed course. Do not feed mogwai after midnight.

From what I learned, these springs are all pretty closely matched. [EDIT] The lack of difference between my brand new PD 13 and broken-in PD 14 spring launch heights makes sense, given that the 14 pounder has perhaps 1,500 cycles on it.

The Patriot firing pin definitely made an obvious change to how high my gun tosses pencils. I hope that it's enough to crush CCI's from now on. If not, I'm tossing the EGD Medium spring in there. @waktasz was right - it's a damned monster compared to the lighter options on the market.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a guess, the pd14 has been cycled hundreds of times and the pd 13 was fresh? All my readings dropped an inch or so after the initial "set" of the springs were reached. No big deal, and nicely documented.

Valid point, John, and obvious enough I should have gone there instantly.

The 13 pounder has indeed only seen a few dozen dryfirings and spent perhaps 10 minutes in the gun.

I have 1,000+ rounds downrange and easily 500 dryfires with the PD 14... and it's been compressed under the hammer for two months.

This makes all kinds of sense.

Send me the first one you make.

This morning I had actually decided to run the EGD Medium spring. Since I run the worst-case scenario for reliable ignition (CCI primers seated on a Dillon 650)... I want the extra margin over the 14 pound spring.

If you can make a 15-15.5 pound spring that doesn't stack like the EGD springs do, I want it. A lot.

I'd rather have a smooth crisp 7 pound DA and not have the slightest concern when loading ammo, than try to chase a 5 pound DA and shoot a princess that requires Federal primers loaded with meticulous attention.

11 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Been there, done that.

PD10 gives 3# 8oz da 14-15 oz SA.

Federal 100% reliable, but a bit "touchy" in SA..

John, you need to move somewhere warm so you dont have so much time to polish your guns during the winter months.......

12 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Single or double action pulls for the test?  

Good question. Those are all double action. I didn't want to punch holes in the kitchen ceiling with the EGD Medium in single action.

All my pencils used weighed a hair over 80 grains, and you've gotta be very meticuous about tipping the gun so that the pencil is clearly dead vertical.

But I can see that measurement - my 14# PD spring and the factory firing pin went 15-15.5" on average, and the EGD light is probably what? An 11ish pound spring maybe? Yours also has a ton of firing cycles on it, right? That's hardly a new spring.

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

So with that being said what is the correlation between pencil height and what primers it will set off reliably?  Has anyone figured that out? We might be able get quantifiable metrics 

My gun was launching pencils 15.5" with PD 14 pound spring and the factory Tanfoglio firing pin.

It would set off anything except CCI's that weren't below flush in the case... and even then it was down to 3 clicks in 150 rounds of double action.

(Do you have any idea how boring it is to decock and shoot 150 times in a row?)

Switching to the PD firing pin bumped the pencil test up 23% to 19" and I'm hoping that's enough to slay anything I load into the gun. I'm shooting 200 of those same rounds tonight.