Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tested!! Hammer springs & PF Firing Pin Pencil Test

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2017 at 6:16 PM, Malarkey said:

So really the question is what is the lowest weight spring which spring will set off everything with a titan hammer?

For me it's the EG light setup, with the FP spring cut down until the hammer at rest pushes the FP flush. Not drop safe, not really, but since I never use the gun except after "make ready" I'm unconcerned. This setup works in both of my Stock 2s.

I use CCI, Win, S&B, and Fiochi for practice. I'd prefer CCI, thencouragement Win, Fiochi, and last S&B. All are reliable but S&B in particular have the most failures or other problems. I credit my reliability to seating primers deeply, Xtreme FP, weak FP spring, Titan hammer, and reducing all friction points between hammer fall and primer hit. No Bolo, as that would reduce DA force. If due to brass variations a primer ends up high, a second strike resolves the problem. Inspection and Federal primers seem to suffice for match ammo. 

For me it's the EG light setup, with the FP spring cut down until the hammer at rest pushes the FP flush. Not drop safe, not really, but since I never use the gun except after "make ready" I'm unconcerned. This setup works in both of my Stock 2s.

I use CCI, Win, S&B, and Fiochi for practice. I'd prefer CCI, thencouragement Win, Fiochi, and last S&B. All are reliable but S&B in particular have the most failures or other problems. I credit my reliability to seating primers deeply, Xtreme FP, weak FP spring, Titan hammer, and reducing all friction points between hammer fall and primer hit. No Bolo, as that would reduce DA force. If due to brass variations a primer ends up high, a second strike resolves the problem. Inspection and Federal primers seem to suffice for match ammo. 

Do you use the extreme disco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Finally got my set up to work with the s &b primers. 13 pounds hammer spring with judicious polishing, pd springs, Titan hammer  and bolo. Only 1 light strike in DA but probably a high primer. Will use s bs for practice.

25 minutes ago, bulm540 said:

Finally got my set up to work with the s &b primers. 13 pounds hammer spring with judicious polishing, pd springs, Titan hammer  and bolo. Only 1 light strike in DA but probably a high primer. Will use s bs for practice.

Impossible. @Twinkie say this is impossible with a bolo.

/head explodes.

44 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

/head explodes.

Unpossible! 

1 hour ago, bulm540 said:

Yeah I wouldn't use anything which has light strikes at a match I played money for. I'm sure anything can work, but I stopped a long time ago and settled on a pretty simple setup. I'm using a 13lb PD spring but so far I think I like the E.G. light a bit more. Not that it matters, because when I'm shooting I don't notice.

3 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

/head explodes.

I was at a gathering last weekend with a guy named "Ben".  i was showing the fancy PD palm swell grips. 

He was adamant that my gun "doesn't work".  He couldn't believe it has a 15.5# hammer spring, sets off winchester, CCI,  S&B and Wolf primers.  it has a 5# 8oz da 1#14oz sa.

If a person hasn't kept up with PatriotDefense designed parts, it is incredible how good they run. 2 years ago, a 5 1/2# da would be federal only. I still do have issues with high primers from my Lee Toadmaster.  but when fed well seated primers... bang every time!

Then again, if i had the trigger control he has, i wouldn't NEED the soft smooth sweet trigger! 

I suggest to all that they follow the forum rules. 

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Avenida said:

13lbs!! Wow that is light!

i think my gun is possesed.

i can get 5lbs 4oz with pd yellow spring (14lbs) and 5lbs 11oz with Medium Extreme.

?????? I think I have the best tanfo in the world, haha

Overtime the spring softens after some live and dry practice

Just now, SISIG said:

Overtime the spring softens after some live and dry practice

Spring is new - 

medium spring is under 6lbs in my gun, and same spring over 7 in another.

i have 2!!

i dont want to shoot the 7lb one ever again!!!!

14 minutes ago, Avenida said:

I am wondering if I got a really good tanfo or A really bad one???

is it a 7lb the norm with Medium spring right???

7-8# is normal with the EG medium.

I'm actually INCREASING trigger weight for the off season to work on trigger control. FYI - wolff makes a 22# spring.

Oh, you should test trigger pull with each mag you own. There can be rubbing on the trigger bow that changes the character of the gun.

21 minutes ago, Avenida said:

I am wondering if I got a really good tanfo or A really bad one???

is it a 7lb the norm with Medium spring right???

That’s normal. 6.5-7 is around where mine was with every patriot part made, and hours of polishing.

It doesn’t matter; 6 vs 7 is the same trigger unless you have a digital widget pulling the trigger instead of a human. Dryfire with it often, instead of spending those hours with it disassembled on the bench... and 7 is just fine on match day.

Stoeger’s gun was around 3 to 3.5 SA and 7 DA when I dryfired it, I’d guess. It’s not a light trigger by any means. Doesn’t seem to hurt him at all.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That’s normal. 6.5-7 is around where mine was with every patriot part made, and hours of polishing.

It doesn’t matter; 6 vs 7 is the same trigger unless you have a digital widget pulling the trigger instead of a human. Dryfire with it often, instead of spending those hours with it disassembled on the bench... and 7 is just fine on match day.

Stoeger’s gun was around 3 to 3.5 SA and 7 DA when I dryfired it, I’d guess. It’s not a light trigger by any means. Doesn’t seem to hurt him at all.

Although I agree 100% I am scratching my head thinking what makes my other gun so good! Trigger is not even 6lbs!! And soent half the time making it as nice!

😬🤓😮🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

This is an eye opening and hilarious thread. One topic much discussed about Tanfo's is the fact that they are all different. I suppose it's the Italian way. I'm used to rifle barrels being individuals, but reading about how many of you use the same parts and prep similarly getting different results proves it.

Do you suppose they're all redheads?

It sure doesn't mean I'll get rid of my newest Tanfoglio toy or that I won't buy another!

2 hours ago, Avenida said:

Although I agree 100% I am scratching my head thinking what makes my other gun so good! Trigger is not even 6lbs!! And soent half the time making it as nice!

😬🤓😮🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

Pretty sure ...

..... i don't know !

I suspect it's in the sear, sear cage, sear cage pocket (in the frame) relationship.  The same reason shaving the BOLO nose reduces pull weight while lengthening hammer swing.