Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0

TacticalReload

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the Apex parts are the same ones for the original M&P that also work in the 2.0.  This leads me to believe that there aren't a lot of differences between the two guns, which kind of is a let down.

Hopefully some here will get their hands on one and give a thorough side-by-side comparison soon.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, Mully383 said:

I do believe you can remove the thumb safety... You can even order the plugs to fill the hole. http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath

That may not be Production legal.  I think Appendix D4-22 prohibits removing a safety.  Any other opinions on that?

I asked Smith's customer service about a 5 inch model with no thumb safety and the (quick) reply was that it's not offered in that configuration yet.

I sure hope they offer it soon.  It's looking like you might not have to throw $100 worth of Apex trigger parts in it right away and some sort of "Pro" model with better sights might be great as long as it's not overpriced.

8 hours ago, Griswold said:

That may not be Production legal.  I think Appendix D4-22 prohibits removing a safety.  Any other opinions on that?

I asked Smith's customer service about a 5 inch model with no thumb safety and the (quick) reply was that it's not offered in that configuration yet.

I sure hope they offer it soon.  It's looking like you might not have to throw $100 worth of Apex trigger parts in it right away and some sort of "Pro" model with better sights might be great as long as it's not overpriced.

Ummmm what you're saying may be true but also if you can replace factory extended slide stops on models that didn't come with them I don't know where the line is drawn. But it's really pointless becuase there gonna have all the models available soon... Should be before any of them make it too the production list regardless. 

On 1/7/2017 at 3:35 PM, 9146gt said:

I played with a couple M&P 2.9 today and the trigger reset is much better than my 5" pro.

Tom

If the guns use a lot of the same parts I wonder how they managed that.... Are they sticking the apex R.A.M in at the factory? 

I find it strange that there are parts up on apex already. I definitely want to see one of these up close. I was watching this videos about the M2.0's and this guy actually shows that the trigger sear mechanism IS different between the M1.0 and M2.0. Its possible some parts are different but the actual sear is unchanged... My buddy is getting one, so I cant wait to try it out.

He talks about the new trigger/sear mechanism at 1:10.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, TacticalReload said:

It looks like the Apex parts are the same ones for the original M&P that also work in the 2.0.  This leads me to believe that there aren't a lot of differences between the two guns, which kind of is a let down.

I wonder why the duty carry Apex AEK works but not the competition kit. 

I was given a 2.0 today to play with and shot it at tonights match.   I have the 5" Pro model also.   

I like the feel and texture of the gun.   

Trigger is nice out of the box

Reset has a nice audible click and is nice

Nice sights,  front is red fiber and the back is adjustable.   

Mag release appears to be metal on this one. 

Dislikes

Safety- Its ok but honestly why?

The slide stop....  Not sure what they were going after but whatever the thing is in front of the slide stop keeps it from dropping when the mag is inserted.  Some people like that some don't.  I am in the don't crowd but I understand why people would.  

Loaded chamber indicator as built on the 5" gun.  Not a fan because thats space that could have been used for the optics mount.  

The internal trigger stuff appears to be slightly different.  I didn't put it on a scale but it has a nice break with a bit of creep.  

IMG_5965.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics, first clear ones with the slide off that I've seen! Are you under the impression that sight configuration is how they are going to come??? (front f/o and rear adjustable) All pictures I have seen just have the standard steel white dot fixed sights as the rest of the M&P's always have. Can you shed any more light on how the trigger bar interacts with the sear compared to the old shepherd's hook one?

We are in Stock show mode.  I planned on taking it apart this morning and comparing.  I should be able to find time to throw it down side/side with my Pro and see.   

Unsure on sights and they are not marked.    It was brand new about this time yesterday. I picked it up from the dealer and made our local match with it.  I think it came to him from Lipseys but may have been Hicks.   

Ive been fiddling with it and the texture is  sharp/sticky as heck.   I passed this thing around the safe table with a couple of guys who really liked the texturing on the 2.0 vs the CORE/Pro's they were shooting.   The Pro's come with the same textured backstop but the fronts are normal M&P "light texture" I guess you would call it.   

Ive been side/side on the trigger more today between it and my Pro.  My Pro has some APEX work in it and its nice.  The 2.0 is pretty close but has a little creep.   For off the shelf its a good trigger.   

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy got his and I got a chance to take the slide off and see how things work in the fire control group. Its actually a very logical improvement. They used to have the shepards hook and the little lobe that came off the sear, but regardless of surface finish or lubrication, you still had two spring loaded parts sliding against each other. Now they have a little arm that comes off the sear and contacts the rear of the FPB lever on the trigger bar, so the trigger bar only pushes straight back, no more sliding of any kind between the sear and trigger bar, just pivoting. I think it makes it much smoother and crisper, I also noticed the finish of all the parts is very good, much better than older M1.0's. I also noticed much less of the plastic on plastic sliding that you could feel before, I guess between the trigger and grip.

I took a couple of pics trying to show what is going on in there. The two are similar but maybe one shows something better than the other so I'll post both. I also tried messing with brightness and contrast to make the inner workings more visible.

0115172142a.jpg

0115172142.jpg

My buddy said whenever I'm available we can go shoot it, but its my wife's birthday this week, so she comes first... Hopefully I get to try shooting it soon.

I will say, I was under the impression the history of accuracy issues was more of an issue of twist rate with the older M1.0 guns, and that that was resolved a few years back. Wasn't it something like if you pull the barrel out and it has one or two dimples on the bottom, it is one of the new twist rates that provides better accuracy? I'm pretty sure bullet weight made a big difference too. I could be totally wrong, so others are welcome to chime in with the facts...

I bought a 2.0 today and it's good. I got the 4.25" because that's what's available without a safety. 

Stippling is good and aggresive. The trigger is ok. It's right at 5lbs, pretty smooth, but the break is creepy. 

Recoil is smooth and light. Accuracy seemed good. Off hand I didn't have any surprises. Groups at 25 yards on an NRA B8 were fairly impressive. Still plan on an Apex gunsmith fit Barrel though to see what it's really capable of. 

Honestly, as a Glock fanboy I think this has greater potential if the trigger can get sorted. I've messaged Apex to see what they recommend and if it's possible to get a crisp 4lb trigger in the 2.0s. 

I'll keep playing with it but a 5" may be in order for production and I think that these M&P's really are underrated.

On 1/24/2017 at 9:32 AM, EngineerEli said:

I will say, I was under the impression the history of accuracy issues was more of an issue of twist rate with the older M1.0 guns, and that that was resolved a few years back. Wasn't it something like if you pull the barrel out and it has one or two dimples on the bottom, it is one of the new twist rates that provides better accuracy? I'm pretty sure bullet weight made a big difference too. I could be totally wrong, so others are welcome to chime in with the facts...

Do a search here for the M&P accuracy and Apex barrel thread(s).  The issue was a LOT more complicated than twist rate.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 5" FDE model with the thumb safety and shot it side-by-side with my original IDPA SSP/USPSA Production tuned M&P Pro 9. For competition, the trigger still needs tuning. Yes it's better than the original stock M&P and that isn't saying much. It could be acceptable for a self defense gun I suppose.

I was too impatient to wait for the non-safety 5" model, and maybe if it comes out I will remove the safety and plug the hole and then it would be indistinguishable with the as-yet-unreleased non-safety version of this pistol we all expect to see 'soon'.

It does shoot better, there is no doubt. Less flip, feels lighter with same load.  I don't know how much each of the changes contributes to this feeling, tho. I.e, How much of this is the steel chasis in the frame, the lower bore axis (by, say 1-2 mm at most I'd estimate), and the absence of the beavertail which allows you to get higher on the gun....I don't know.  But it shoots better.

I actually thought I'd dislike the safety but I might keep it after all...riding it like I do some of my SA comp guns.

Q

• 2 weeks later...

I ran my new m&p 5" 2.0 in Production for the first time last Saturday. I was pleased with the performance, although the slide safety takes some adjusting to. The felt recoil seemed lighter to me than other M&Ps, but I haven't had a chance to shoot them side by side.
I did notice the slide "auto forward" on a couple reloads during the match which I thought the newer slide stop was supposed to prevent. No complaints from me but I'd like to do some more range practice with to make sure it just wasn't a fluke.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk