Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0

TacticalReload

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard telling... I'll be interested to find out.

I'm curious about the new "full length internal chassis". Since the cutouts in the frame allow seeing the QR/serial number, is the chassis removable/swappable like the SIG 320?

My remaining questions are 

1) Will it fit APEX parts or is the the trigger sufficiently different that I can't throw in the better parts?

2) Can you get 5" without the loaded chamber indicator?

3) What in the world is that button in front of the slide release for?

So much fail with this, from what I can see and have read.

All that S&W needed to do to knock this out of the park was:
1. Replace hinged trigger with "Glock style" that every other manufacturer is now using.
2. Ensure proper barrel to slide fit to resolve accuracy issue in 9mm

The "pro" sear, slide lightening, and grip texture changes are the only improvements in my opinion.

I believe the "thing" in front of the slide lock is potentially a detent of some kind to prevent auto forwarding.

The M&P platform is hamstrung by that horrific hinged trigger.  Does anyone actually like that thing?

My understanding is this is basically the model used in the XM17 competition. S&W did not make it very far in that competition so I would be kind of curious to hear why and to know if issues seen during those tests were addressed before releasing to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I'm probably buying one seeing how after 8 years with the old one I have very little complains.

blah blah trigger sucks .. of course it does, which gun do we NOT screw around with the trigger to make it better? People buy $2000 STI's and then pay someone to "fix" the trigger, as long as I can throw in $100 of apex parts I don't really care.

Some guns had accuracy problems, others did not, again, after market barrels are a thing, your millage may very.

I'm not really defending the gun or Smith, they can certainly use to get their act together on some things, I'm just saying that perspective is a thing one should have when you are looking at a $450 gun NOT designed for competition as its primary goal.

I agree, it was designed to be a "fighting pistol", I trust the Army did testing to it to determine if it would suite their needs as a fighting pistol and am just curious as to why they were dropped from the test so early on. That's all. Not crapping on S&W, I competed with a M&P for a while and actually kind of liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't try to guess anything about army arms trials. I think they have a lot more to do with politics and grandstanding then actually buying a gun. Objectively, the whole thing is a waste of time an money which will probably end up with buying Glock 19s as some branches are already doing.  Think of it this way, Inifinity could have put hand made open gun priced at $1000 on the table in those trials and odds are it would have lost, and we would probably not try to guess why, it seems to me these sort of army trials are not about determining the best gun, but the best gun to buy for the army when performance is just one of the criteria. 

Just saw one on a vendor site for $450 ... http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-and-wesson-43.html

The biggest difference I see is the elimination of the tail at the rear of the frame ... (more Glock like) ... all else looks pretty much the same.

I bet the backstraps will fit older M&Ps ... and I didn't watch the video but assume same mags ... holsters .. etc ...

23 hours ago, Vlad said:

My remaining questions are 

1) Will it fit APEX parts or is the the trigger sufficiently different that I can't throw in the better parts?

[snip]

It looks like they have a specific page for the 2.0 version. It looks like the Duty/Carry stuff has been listed, but not the competition-oriented stuff. Seems a bit strange since the the biggest difference are the springs (i.e., sear is the same, striker block is the same).

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=71

Grabagun has the 4.25" black and the 5" FDE models in stock...ordered both today.  I have the full custom 2011s, CZ Custom Shadows, Wilson Beretta, tricked out Glock 34, Sig 320, and many others, but I still love shooting all of my M&Ps that for the most part have been problem free and great shooters.  A gun feels and looks different to each and every person holding it, the M&P has always been very pleasing to my hands and eyes.  I think it's a nice change...could have done more, but with Apex already having parts for this gun before it was even shipped to dealers says they have a very friendly relationship.  And who doesn't like personalizing their guns to their own specs?

19 hours ago, Magsz said:

I believe the "thing" in front of the slide lock is potentially a detent of some kind to prevent auto forwarding.

The M&P platform is hamstrung by that horrific hinged trigger.  Does anyone actually like that thing?

I've gotten used to it... I figured out how to run it with a fss sear so I pulled out the apex trigger on my others as well to keep it consistent with my comp gun. So yeah I guess I like it.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:19 PM, Vlad said:

2) Can you get 5" without the loaded chamber indicator?

I was guessing that it's only present on the manual safety models due to state regulations.  I could be wrong.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:36 PM, Domineaux said:

So much fail with this, from what I can see and have read.

All that S&W needed to do to knock this out of the park was:
1. Replace hinged trigger with "Glock style" that every other manufacturer is now using.
2. Ensure proper barrel to slide fit to resolve accuracy issue in 9mm

The "pro" sear, slide lightening, and grip texture changes are the only improvements in my opinion.

I agree 100%.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:04 PM, bockerSV said:

My understanding is this is basically the model used in the XM17 competition. S&W did not make it very far in that competition so I would be kind of curious to hear why and to know if issues seen during those tests were addressed before releasing to the public.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:04 PM, Magsz said:

Probably horrible accuracy...................... Heh.

16 hours ago, bockerSV said:

I agree, it was designed to be a "fighting pistol", I trust the Army did testing to it to determine if it would suite their needs as a fighting pistol and am just curious as to why they were dropped from the test so early on. That's all. Not crapping on S&W, I competed with a M&P for a while and actually kind of liked it.

If I were to guess, I'd say that it probably was an accuracy thing.  We'll probably never know.  However, the MHS trials had very strict accuracy requirements.  IIRC, it's something like 90% of shots within 4" group at 50 yards.  I'd be surprised if box-stock Glocks could consistently do that.

11 hours ago, Magsz said:

Wow,

That was quick.  That's how you release a product!

Yeah... it only took 11 years to recontour the slide, throw in an extra backstrap, and embed a steel frame into the dust cover.  ;-)

Seriously though, I think that these guns had to be submitted to the military trials like a year ago.  Ruger released the American Pistol the the public almost exactly a year ago after developing it for the MHS trials (despite deciding not to bother submitting it after all) and that was a ground up brand new gun.  The M&P 2.0 appears to be very incrementally modified over version 1.0.

I do not disagree with you.

However, I like product release announcements that actually coincide with the physical release of the gun.  Unlike say Sig that teases a 320 Target and a year later there's still very little info on it.

Im just impatient though and hate waiting :P

Knowing Smith and Wesson, they'll probably branch out with state law compliant and competition oriented models in the near future (Novak sights / CORE slide).

One important mod for overseas use is the trigger weight, which is now 5.5 lbs, just right for IPSC Production Division.

My tentative verdict is: shut up and take my money!

5 hours ago, Magsz said:

I do not disagree with you.

However, I like product release announcements that actually coincide with the physical release of the gun.  Unlike say Sig that teases a 320 Target and a year later there's still very little info on it.

Im just impatient though and hate waiting :P

Ditto...I've waited on the 320 Target forever...finally picked up an RX from Cabela's and will still get the Target when it comes out more than likely.  After Sig's launch (or lack of), Smith is killing it right now even having their guns available at all.