Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbine buffer selection

As I'm putting together my new PCC I'm still on a steep learning curve .... after selecting the Magpul UBR stock I noticed on their website that there are 3 different M4 carbine buffers to choose from (M4, M4 H2 & M4 H3).   How do I decide between these three?  Also, what's everyone's opinion about the SS buffer spring vice the chrome silicon one?  Thx!

Hello: Since you will be reloading 9mm for your PCC I would go with a 5.5oz buffer, 308 carbine spring, and a New Frontier spacer or use quarters to limit the bolt travel. That will be a safe all around setup. Some guys are going crazy light setup and some are going very heavy. This is in the middle and is what I am using right now. It just works for me. I may change my setup after I start playing with the JP setup. Thanks, Eric

5.5oz is Colt 9mm SMG spec and the latest versions come with a spacer at the rear of the buffer spring.

However, the gun will shoot flatter if you go with a heavier buffer. The VLTOR A5H4 is 6.8oz and the correct length inside a carbine buffer tube to eliminate the need for spacers or a stack of quarters. Testing side by side with the factory Colt buffer system and the VLTOR A5H4 cuts dot bounce roughly in half.

Combining the A5H4 buffer with a Tubb .308 flat wire spring gives even less muzzle rise....

Mick

Ok, another dumb question ... The VLOR website says to only use their buffer with their components or risk damaging the gun.  Is this just the standard warning and using it with a Magpul stock vice one of theirs works just fine?  This will be going on a Sig Mpx if that makes any difference ...

Yeah, that make sense ... I need to remember the Sig is not a blowback gun ...

I know ShadyScott did a Sig MPX with Magpul UBR stock so hopefully he'll see this & chime in ...

Edited by Nimitz

yeah, shortly after posting that I took another look at my MPX which is currently in pieces on my workbench since I just installed the Hiper touch 24C and it was pretty obvious there is no way to install a buffer & spring ....  did I mention I was clueless about carbines ... could have been worse, I could have bought them before realizing that ... :)

2 hours ago, Nimitz said:

yeah, shortly after posting that I took another look at my MPX which is currently in pieces on my workbench since I just installed the Hiper touch 24C and it was pretty obvious there is no way to install a buffer & spring ....  did I mention I was clueless about carbines ... could have been worse, I could have bought them before realizing that ... :)

You'll love the Hiperfire Trigger.

I also forgot to mention the other thing that I didn't like about the UBR stock on the MPX.  To prevent unwanted rotation, the front of the UBR is designed to mate up with the cutout on the rear of a standard AR lower receiver (the part where the end plate would normally sit).  Since the MPX doesn't have this cutout, the UBR Stock can rotate from an impact.  There is no castle nut and the only thing keeping it from moving around is a single screw that goes into the end of the buffer tube/receiver extension.  It's probably not a big deal on game only carbine, but it bugged me.

You really have the same issue with any AR stock conversion on the MPX.  However with a traditional AR stock on the MPX, you have the castle nut to help prevent the tube from rotating.