Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Start

ohsevenflhx

11 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

That shows butstock on belt, but the rules say muzzle at 3 foot up at middle of berm. His muzzle is clearly over the berm...

The video was not a USPSA stage. What USPSA rule are you quoting?

2 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

My mistake, that's for a barricade start. 

It seems that you may be referring to the "best practices" document. Keep in mind the last sentence of the first paragraph:

"These suggestions are NOT rules, they are here to help clubs adapt to the new division if desired."

• 4 weeks later...

^^ fact. if we had to start at a true port arms then first shot times on pcc wouldn't be soo blazing.

and for 'butt of gun touching belt' starts i like to keep the muzzle high, so i just rotate the stock up into my shoulder, not lifting the whole gun from horizontal and up like in the shotgun pic.

• 1 month later...

Has there been any actual ruling on this?  The definition of "downrange" is really what I think we are after...

I personally have been stock on belt, muzzle raised to about eyes level and lifting my stock into position...also seen guys doing it completely horizontal...also seen guys doing it everywhere in between...

Has there been any actual ruling on this?  The definition of "downrange" is really what I think we are after...

I personally have been stock on belt, muzzle raised to about eyes level and lifting my stock into position...also seen guys doing it completely horizontal...also seen guys doing it everywhere in between...

From the rulebook, APPENDIX A3

"Facing Uprange ................Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the
backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.
Facing Down Range ........The exact opposite of facing uprange."

Available here:
https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 3:14 PM, PatJones said:

From the rulebook, APPENDIX A3

"Facing Uprange ................Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the
backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.
Facing Down Range ........The exact opposite of facing uprange."

Available here:
https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

This reference in the rules is actually inaccurate and was corrected by NROI Ruling about a year and a half ago.  See the following:

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=70

If a local range doesn't allow muzzles over the berm they shouldn't be running any USPSA matches. Local rules are verboten.

I can tolerate some that don't force shooters the drastically alter their techniques, like some ranges don't want you driving down steel due to bullets skipping. But any range that has a "muzzle over the berm = DQ" shouldn't be running USPSA, muzzle up reloads are extremely common in USPSA.

Edited by PPGMD

3 hours ago, CZ85Combat said:

Port arms definition is left vague as some ranges have rules about muzzle above berm = DQ   If port arms had to be muzzle high up around your chin or nose, then some clubs would not allow PCC.

Can you quote that rule? I'm having trouble finding that in the book.

41 minutes ago, XD Niner said:

3.3 Applicability of Rules:

"...Host organizations may not enforce local rules except to comply with legislation or legal precedent in the applicable jurisdiction..."

That has zero to do with club rules and berms. The next sentence of that same rule says so.

Edited by Sarge

On 1/26/2017 at 8:23 PM, Neomet said:

I believe they are referring to the way IPSC shotgun shooters start at times.

The IPSC Rifle (and I believe shotgun) rules up until 2012 specified that the gun should be parallel to the ground, stock touching at hip level. The parallel to the ground rule was then removed and now most sensible people start like this:

It makes it easier to get first shot on target since the end of the barrel is already in line with the target, so you only extend your left arm bit and bring the stock up just like in shotgun sports (at least outside US) I used to shoot sporting clays and international skeet before IPSC rifle, mounting the rifle is just the same in IPSC as in those sports.

Also, in IPSC, down range is anywhere within the safety angles, and up range is the opposite. You will always start pointing towards your first target to save time.

Edited by slemmo