Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right side mag release in a limited 2011

Dirtchevy841

I know there's a couple of threads on this subject for 1911. I am looking for opinions on a right side mag release in a 2011 platform limited pistol. Just wanted to see how many people are using this and how the like it. I am shooting a buddy's limited with a Mitchell right side release. It feels pretty good. I have a SV being built right now and was thinking of using a right side release. Any guys out there with one. Let me know. 

Left handed shooters such as myself figured out same side safety's are the way to go. It is much easier to hit the mag release with your middle finger and still control the pistol with the index finger.

I wouldn't want it the other way at all. The length to access the mag release is if you are using your thumb to activate seems to me to be a much easier way to get a DQ from having the trigger finger still in the trigger guard when reloading. Give it a try, I really think you will find it very advantageous.

I have run Mitchell RH mag releases in my 2011's and 1911 for over 10 years. I am a RT handed pistol operator.  

have small hands and I use my index finger to actuate same. I never have to take my thumb off of the thumb safety while reloading. I have used the Cylinder and Slide model also, but is is not as well constructed as the Mitchell. I have no experience  with the SV, but based on my experience with their other products, I am sure it is top notch. BTW, my Mitchell works fine with both STI and old syle SV mags in my polymer STI grip on an STI frame Edge(.40) and works with both old and new style SV mags in my PT framed and PT grip(9mm) on another 2011 pistol. Minor fitting only needed on the PT grip. Hope this is good intell for someone.

Edited by TISCHLJ

1 minute ago, TISCHLJ said:

I have run Mitchell RH mag releases in my 2011's and 1911 for over 10 years. I have small hands and I use my index finger to actuate same. I never have to take my thumb off of the thumb safety while reloading. I have used the Cylinder and Slide model also, but is is not as well constructed as the Mitchell. I have no experience  with the SV, but based on my experience with their other products, I am sure it is top notch. BTW, my Mitchell works fine with both STI and old syle SV mags in my polymer STI grip on an STI frame Edge(.40) and works with both old and new style SV mags in my PT framed and PT grip(9mm) on another 2011 pistol. Minor fitting only needed on the PT grip. Hope this is good intell for someone.

Cool. My hands are on the small side also. Find I don't have to adjust grip as much when using index finger. Think I'll be putting this on the Sv. 

5 hours ago, cvincent said:

I love it. I can't go back. I shoot right handed.
Just put an Infinity grip on an edge for the right hand mag release.

cc887d4a5c1520daaf0813af9052a9da.jpg
7861b103ef8190ff12bfa2bb52788316.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good on the Sv. Do you find it maybe better with a flat circle mag button or do you even notice the tear drop mag button. I have the tear drop button like you but was thinking the circle might feel better. How do you feel about the tear drop do you notice any difference. 

I have only used the teardrop button. But, I do find myself hitting the top of the button, where the checkering is, when I hit the button. So I don't think I would like the circular button.

1 hour ago, cvincent said:

I have only used the teardrop button. But, I do find myself hitting the top of the button, where the checkering is, when I hit the button. So I don't think I would like the circular button.

Great thanks. 

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Crazy Scientist said:

What does it take to switch back and forth?  I saw a used STI/SVI top end that the main stopping point for me was it was setup for a lefty (actually the guy prefered the RHS release as a RH shooter).

Gun Store was useless on this.

It all depends on what grip it has on it.  Do you know what grip was on it?

We have 1 guy who shoots with us (out of the 60+ in our area who use the 2011 platform) who has his STI Edge setup this way. I have observed

- it seems to work really well for him

- I've also observed that in past 15+ years I've never seen him shoot anything but that particular STI in USPSA

- I've shot his Edge in competition,  index finger mag release doesn't seem to help me any. For me it's not better, just different. 

On 1/2/2017 at 6:27 PM, mont1120 said:

Left handed shooters such as myself figured out same side safety's are the way to go. It is much easier to hit the mag release with your middle finger and still control the pistol with the index finger.

I wouldn't want it the other way at all. The length to access the mag release is if you are using your thumb to activate seems to me to be a much easier way to get a DQ from having the trigger finger still in the trigger guard when reloading. Give it a try, I really think you will find it very advantageous.

I semi agree with mont1120.  I’m a lefty and stick with the left side release even on ambi release guns.  The beauty of it being a lefty for me is I never change my grip. I hit the release with my trigger finger and drop the slide with my trigger finger.  I have small hands so I was using my thumb I would be adjusting my grip a lot.